Forums » The Ranger

Next class highlight?

• 304 posts
    September 15, 2021 6:52 PM PDT

I'm getting excited to hear about the Ranger.  After the very good discussion about the dancing punchy fellow I'm hoping to hear about the class that knows what leaves one should avoid after squatting in the woods. 

Will we make our own special arrows? Can we combine and make consumables?  Will tracking be simple or complicated?  How many critical hits can we chain up?  

Can't wait to try it out during the bug hunt of alpha. 

• 500 posts
    September 16, 2021 8:02 PM PDT

I, myself, am also quite interested in where the Ranger will go. I want to get that feeling like I did playing my Ranger in EQ. I want to be the jack of all trades. I am betting they will not be off tanks in the way the EQ Ranger was, though I would love that, or off heals even I think. Still I am hoping to be a versatile class that is more than just DPS and a couple snare traps or a summoned temp pet that is little more than fluff.

And for god's sake PLEASE VR, PLEASE make archery FEEL like archery and not just spells that have different animations and no effects. 

• 1388 posts
    September 16, 2021 8:07 PM PDT

I'm thinking that Cleric & Warrior will be the next classes highlighted, since those are far enough along to be in pre-alpha now (so I hear), whereas Ranger and Summoner are less finished since VR needs to finish the HDRP & Networking before they can move forward on Ranger/Summoner.

It was planned that Woodworkers would make bows and I certainly plan to take it on my Ranger, but I haven't heard anything specific on who will make arrows, Rangers or Crafters. It makes more sense IMO for Rangers to have the fletching skill as that is a natural way for a Ranger to carry lots of arrows without a lot of burden, by having the components for arrows be much lighter in weight than the actual arrows. In between battles the Ranger just whips up a few arrows to replenish his supply.

• 304 posts
    September 17, 2021 3:05 PM PDT

Ah. Yes, making arrows in the field...stone tips or bone.  But I may be getting greedy. 

So I saw too that the Ranger is awaiting further game structure development before getting a polish and hat.

BTW I hope my ranger can have an outrageous hat with lots of feathers that when I turn my head tend to get in people's faces and they look at me in annoyance, requiring me to say ' I beg your pardon dear sir or madam, allow me to make repentance by offering this consumable crafted from willow bark and the excrement of the fire gerbil, a fine addition to anyone in need of odor control.' 

Take your time VR, I want my Halfling Ranger to be notorious. 

This post was edited by StoneFish at September 17, 2021 3:06 PM PDT
    • 1388 posts
    September 17, 2021 6:38 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

BTW I hope my ranger can have an outrageous hat with lots of feathers that when I turn my head tend to get in people's faces and they look at me in annoyance, requiring me to say ' I beg your pardon dear sir or madam, allow me to make repentance by offering this consumable crafted from willow bark and the excrement of the fire gerbil, a fine addition to anyone in need of odor control.'

That makes a certain botanical sense. The willow bark would tend to dull the pain that I'd expect to be caused by the other principle ingredient of the nostrum. The affect of which should greatly distract the user from any serious concern about unpleasant odors in the area...possibly forever.

The long feathers in the hat is a good idea too, helps to keep the bigger folk from accidentally stepping on a crazed, wandering halfwi...errr, halfling.

This post was edited by Jothany at September 17, 2021 6:55 PM PDT
    • 304 posts
    September 18, 2021 7:46 AM PDT

Ha!

• 1120 posts
    September 30, 2021 8:20 PM PDT

I have a theory (personal opinion) that the physical DPS classes will have kits that make them capable 'pullers'.  Monks will have FD, Rogues will be able to keep targets out of combat, and I'm speculating that Rangers will be able to split utilizing their temporary pets, traps and distracting abilities.  

• 1388 posts
    October 1, 2021 1:51 PM PDT

Darch said: I have a theory (personal opinion) that the physical DPS classes will have kits that make them capable 'pullers'.  Monks will have FD, Rogues will be able to keep targets out of combat, and I'm speculating that Rangers will be able to split utilizing their temporary pets, traps and distracting abilities. 

I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

I've seen no reason to think that a Monk - or any other Class - will be a 'vital necessity' to have as a puller. I actually think that when a group has a (competently played) CC class, that the quickest and most efficient system will be for the Tank to do most of the pulling. High-end and uniquely hard situations clearly being potential exceptions.

• 786 posts
    October 2, 2021 8:38 AM PDT
    I agree with you on that for the most part Jothany other than when you get to harder mobs at higher levels. It’s been my experience that when you’re in a fine group and start chain pulling it’s been best to have another class (not necessarily a CC) to keep pulling when the main mob gets to around 20%. In EQ1 a monk, Ench, Bard, or Ranger were the ones used primarily to keep a steady flow of adds coming in for the chain pulling. The tank just stayed stationary and held agro.
    • 1388 posts
    October 2, 2021 11:35 AM PDT

Jothany said: High-end and uniquely hard situations clearly being potential exceptions.

@Mordecai  I actually think we're in total agreement :)

I also didn't mean to suggest that the CC would be the other puller. I just meant that a Tank wouldn't necessarily be able to split-pull, so for him to keep pulling steadily, would require a  good CC to lock-down the extra adds that came along.

• 101 posts
    October 2, 2021 5:40 PM PDT

I loved grouping with a *good* ranger on P99. Difficult to come by but damn impressive when you found someone who knew the class.

• 786 posts
    October 2, 2021 9:51 PM PDT
    My bad Jothany! I misread. Yea for sure we’re in agreement. Lafael an awesome enchanter does wonders pulling too. Just a heads up