Forums » The Bard

Instruments

    • 17 posts
    September 5, 2021 7:09 PM PDT

    I know that EQ Bards had a ton of instruments they could play (Stringed, Wind, Brass, Percussion, singing) but I wanted to pose a question to the bard community.  Since VR is a small team, would you be super upset if Bards only had ONE instrument type, and if so, what would you want it to be.  I would prefer a Lute.  I think having one instrument type is a reasonable expectation personally to upgrade and model for the small team.  

    • 813 posts
    September 7, 2021 10:57 AM PDT
    If only one to ease the devs load, then lute is indeed a classic choice. More variety could be considered (possibly) for expansions.

    However, if you don’t mind a trip down memory lane, check out these thoughts from five years ago =>

    https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3587/what-kind-of-instruments-do-we-want-to-see/view/page/1 />
    • 1394 posts
    September 7, 2021 4:52 PM PDT

    I would NOT find that a fair or equitable decision. To my knowledge, every single gear slot on every Class in this game has a multitude of items that can be equipped there. Upgrading the gear that goes into those slots is a FUN-damental part of the appeal of MMOs. I see no reason that we Bards, alone among the Classes, should get 'shorted' in our pursuit of that fun.

    Practically speaking, given the enormous amount of gear in this and every other MMO I know about, I don't really think the creation of a few - or a few dozen - instruments is going to amount to a significant change to the time/effort burden involved in creating the Bard.


    This post was edited by Jothany at September 7, 2021 4:52 PM PDT
    • 684 posts
    September 8, 2021 4:25 PM PDT

    One thing that I really disliked from EQ Bards was the Instrument Requirements for specific Songs. Not only did it prevent Players from using a song unless they constantly Swap instruments but it also limited which songs could be used together.

    Instead I would hope for Abilities to just have different Boosts depending on which Instrument you use.

    For example if you had a Haste Ability:
        - Drums = Increase Haste bonus
        - Lute = Increases the Range (Radius) or Effect Multi-Groups
        - Flute = Makes it Spell Haste instead
        - Horn = Increases the Duration (weave more abilities at a time)

    Just an idea...

     

    • 17 posts
    September 8, 2021 4:29 PM PDT

    GoofyWarriorGuy said:

    One thing that I really disliked from EQ Bards was the Instrument Requirements for specific Songs. Not only did it prevent Players from using a song unless they constantly Swap instruments but it also limited which songs could be used together.

    Instead I would hope for Abilities to just have different Boosts depending on which Instrument you use.

    For example if you had a Haste Ability:
        - Drums = Increase Haste bonus
        - Lute = Increases the Range (Radius) or Effect Multi-Groups
        - Flute = Makes it Spell Haste instead
        - Horn = Increases the Duration (weave more abilities at a time)

    Just an idea...

     

     

    I think this is a legit idea.  I forgot about the issue of instrument swapping, and if I recall, the Planes weapons made it so you didn't need to do that again.  I wonder how Joppa plans to deal with the issue.

    • 1394 posts
    September 8, 2021 6:58 PM PDT

    Have we ever heard if Crafters will be able to make Bard Instruments or if they'll only come from the Game?

    • 684 posts
    September 8, 2021 7:41 PM PDT

    Jothany said:

    Have we ever heard if Crafters will be able to make Bard Instruments or if they'll only come from the Game?

    Since Bards are not officially in the game yet I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about instruments at all yet. But since Woodworking is one of the Crafting professions I would guess that it might play a large part in any crafted Instruments. Maybe in combination with Outfitting.

    • 81 posts
    September 14, 2021 4:59 PM PDT

    I like the idea of woodworkers being able to create at least some of the musical instruments in Terminus, leaving their signature on the finished product the way Fender, Martin, and other companies do; though in this case it would only be visible in the item's details/through identifying and not when equipped. That might even end up being the profession/tradeskill of choice for bards. Or they could instead simply seek out a Monteleone of sorts within the community who's known for making the best mandolins, guitars, or...well, I doubt there will be cellos, but you get the idea. It might even be that the woodworker would have to choose one specific instrument type over all others to fashion it into the highest quality possible, the way that a blacksmith could become the best maker of hammers or swords or forgo both in favor of chainmail because they know a lot of wealthy dire lords. 


    This post was edited by Leevolen at September 14, 2021 5:19 PM PDT
    • 2 posts
    September 20, 2021 11:34 AM PDT

    Simms59 said:

    I know that EQ Bards had a ton of instruments they could play (Stringed, Wind, Brass, Percussion, singing) but I wanted to pose a question to the bard community.  Since VR is a small team, would you be super upset if Bards only had ONE instrument type, and if so, what would you want it to be.  I would prefer a Lute.  I think having one instrument type is a reasonable expectation personally to upgrade and model for the small team.  

     

    I would be upset if there was only one instrument. Part of the enjoyment of playing a bard is finding those unique instruments to augment the power of that song type. Later in the game when you have access to higher tier itemization perhaps there will be some bard armor/weapons with passive instrument bonuses but these passive bonus' should always be significantly lower than the bonus from equipping an actual instrument which requires you to sacrifice a weapon to equip, thus reducing your melee output to bolster a targeted song(s) with the use of an instrument. Also, song twisting and instrument swapping was an integral part of the bard skill ceiling - it made the class unique and gave it some real charm.

    • 2 posts
    September 20, 2021 11:42 AM PDT

     

    I think this is a legit idea.  I forgot about the issue of instrument swapping, and if I recall, the Planes weapons made it so you didn't need to do that again.  I wonder how Joppa plans to deal with the issue.

     

    The passive bonus' on those items where significantly lower than instruments that where available. For example you could get Rizlona's Fiery Boots would give 8 percussion resonance (+80% song bonus) passively or you could aquire War Drums of the Rathe which would give you 24 percussion resonance (+240% song bonus) at the cost of one of your weapon slots. Both have their use but if bolstering your raids resistances is your #1 priority, you're gonna equip the drum to give your percussion resistance songs a 240% bonus for all raid memebers. I like this mechanic a lot and I hope they bring it into Pantheon in some way.

     

    I do love the idea of passive instrument bonus' on bard gear though, one of my favorite items ever is Songblade of the Eternal which gave a Singing resonance bonus of 15 (150%)

     


    This post was edited by OneManRiot at September 20, 2021 11:45 AM PDT