Forums » The Warrior

Dual Wielding Shields

• 24 posts
    August 15, 2021 10:11 AM PDT

As a warrior, let me dual wield shields.  I don't expect this to be a good build, or have access to all my abilities, or ever practically use it, but I want the option.

That is all.

• 714 posts
    August 15, 2021 8:21 PM PDT

While I'm not against this idea on principle, one thing that comes to mind is the quick equiping of weapons and shields using 'right click' or however it would work. If they allow players to swap weapons and/or shields during combat, it would kind of suck if you went to swap from a shield that has high block value to a shield that gives high magic absorb only to accidently swap it with your weapon slot instead and then be locked out from doing damage and generating threat and you lose control of the enemy and it runs off to kill your party while you are fiddling with getting your weapon back and then manually swapping your shield with drag and drop. This wouldn't be a problem if shields only ever equip into the offhand slot and would never accidently leave you weaponless during battle.

• 24 posts
    August 20, 2021 6:17 AM PDT

Agreed here - don't think there would be any use in having a shield auto-equip into the primary slot. Would certainly need to be manually dragged there if you decided to do it.

• 52 posts
    August 26, 2021 8:09 AM PDT

I'm trying to think of a situation where this would actually be useful.  I'm envisioning some sort of Last Stand scenario, in which a dual-shielding warrior sacrifices his life, so that the remaining members of his party may live.  "You shall not pass!"

• 342 posts
    August 26, 2021 11:29 AM PDT

Coppelia | Log Horizon Wiki | Fandom

It was pretty entertaining in this show, also pretty funny that before people were pulled into the game she was played by a bot.

• 52 posts
    September 5, 2021 8:42 AM PDT

I could see some benefit to having two shields.  Plenty of scenarios.

• You are running through a zone not planning to fight anything, just survive to a safe point.
    • You are power leveling a friend, and just want to taunt tank for them, not doing dps.
    • You are trying to hold out a bit more just before that big heal hits, and quickly equip your double shield weapon set.
    • You are already light years ahead on the threat table, and just want to mitigate the damage that much more.

The only thing, is there a scenario where it would make you tank too well?  Say you have a reliable threat generator ability, that doesn't require a weapon equipped, and now you are mitigating incoming raid damage so well, that any other tanking class, just isn't an option.

I'm all for it, but the benefit needs to be tempered.

I played a beta of a video game, which allowed any class to use dual shields, so my wizard was running around with 2, +spell power shields with high block value.  The game allowed active blocking, which mitigated your shields block value.  My two shields added up to more than 100, so I took no damage while blocking.  I would cast wall of fire, then meteor a group, then turtle up and if they didn't melt on my wall of fire, then my friends would finish them.  I would consider that pretty broken personally.  If we can find a happy spot, where you aren't doing something like taking next to no damage, then I'm for it.

• 714 posts
    September 5, 2021 6:50 PM PDT

This is another good point... Warriors have an Active Shield usage where they use their Shield Block to actively build up their Resilience resource.

If dual wielding shields, which shield stats does the Shield Block Ability use to calculate the block, or would it combine them. If combine, would this not make Shield Block insanely OP and promote players to actively equip an extra shield each time they use the Ability, making Warriors much more complicated as they constantly swap in dual shield for Shield Block.

Plus their Resilience Pool is actually calculated using their AC value, so while Dual Shielding, they would have a much higher Resilience Pool which means their damage Mitigation may be insanely high. It would be crazy difficult to balance the class if they could spike their Resilience so much higher whenever they wanted by Dual-Wielding Shields.

• 1137 posts
    October 29, 2021 8:31 PM PDT

I'm not a fan at all of the dual shield idea.  How is someone cowering behind two shields threatening (building threat) or going to goad (taunt) anyone into attacking them? 

Holding a shield up to block makes it difficult to see attacks coming from another angle (especially if your opponent is dual weilding... actual weapons).  You're not going to attack with a shield aside from pushing against an opponent more than once or twice... that would be like trying to punch someone with a 20lb dumbbell with your other hand holding another 20lb weight covering your eyes... meanwhile your opponent can block your super slow attack with their shield and stab you under your 20lb dumbbell because they have much more reach than you and you can't see them... or if you can see them - that means they can stab you in the face with their sword that reaches much further than a sheild... or they can just shoulder slam and attack over the sheild with impunity.

• 4 posts
    November 1, 2021 8:08 PM PDT

This simply does not compute for me. I am with Darch on this.

• 61 posts
    November 8, 2021 7:57 AM PST

Giskard said:

I'm trying to think of a situation where this would actually be useful.  I'm envisioning some sort of Last Stand scenario, in which a dual-shielding warrior sacrifices his life, so that the remaining members of his party may live.  "You shall not pass!"

The shooting of a new Monty Python moive?