Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Fireworks

• 724 posts
    July 5, 2021 4:04 PM PDT

Will there be things that we can craft or steal or purchase that go BOOM?

• 2041 posts
    July 5, 2021 7:47 PM PDT

StoneFish said: Will there be things that we can craft or steal or purchase that go BOOM?

I don't think such items are really worth the effort....unless they give off a bright flash of light when they go BOOM! and then, every player within a close radius who saw the event, has their screen go completely dark and their speakers go absolutely silent......for 10 seconds.

Time enough for a good rush of fear, but not long enough for a heart attack.

• 454 posts
    July 5, 2021 7:57 PM PDT

O gosh, I hope so!

• 888 posts
    July 7, 2021 10:38 AM PDT
    I would like to see fireworks that we can use for social events and as a signaling flare. Imagine if the community decided that a red firework / flare meant distress. A group in trouble could fire one off and if another group is nearby and sees it, they could go assist. Sure, shouting in zone chat works too, but a firework is more interesting, dramatic, and it also helps others find you.

It would also make for a fun item to craft. Different resources would be required to make them different colors (and hopefully there are some multi color options). Fireworks could even be enchanted so they display an image / symbol, like a deity, faction allegiance, etc.
    • 724 posts
    July 7, 2021 12:07 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: I would like to see fireworks that we can use for social events and as a signaling flare. Imagine if the community decided that a red firework / flare meant distress. A group in trouble could fire one off and if another group is nearby and sees it, they could go assist. Sure, shouting in zone chat works too, but a firework is more interesting, dramatic, and it also helps others find you. It would also make for a fun item to craft. Different resources would be required to make them different colors (and hopefully there are some multi color options). Fireworks could even be enchanted so they display an image / symbol, like a deity, faction allegiance, etc.

That is fantastic!!  Great imagination and idea.  I love the "call for aid' thought and hope to see that type of thing someday in the future.  

• 8 posts
    July 7, 2021 1:54 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: I would like to see fireworks that we can use for social events and as a signaling flare. Imagine if the community decided that a red firework / flare meant distress. A group in trouble could fire one off and if another group is nearby and sees it, they could go assist. Sure, shouting in zone chat works too, but a firework is more interesting, dramatic, and it also helps others find you. It would also make for a fun item to craft. Different resources would be required to make them different colors (and hopefully there are some multi color options). Fireworks could even be enchanted so they display an image / symbol, like a deity, faction allegiance, etc.

This is a great idea in its entirety and I would like to see this in-game to that extent. Would be really fascinating!

• 256 posts
    July 7, 2021 2:51 PM PDT

To extend this topic to the lore side of things, the halflings are supposed to be tricksters in their own right. I could see their culture discovering the creation of fireworks, based on their trickster-like disposition. I could also see this discovery influencing the crafting sphere, leading to the development of smoke screens, bombs, and explosive traps. 

Personally, I would love to see things that go boom, both in both a cosmetic sense and in a combat sense. Not only could this provide crafters with additional ways to make money, but it could add ways to approach combat strategically. 

• 2138 posts
    July 8, 2021 9:09 AM PDT

Firecrackers: Flash, Make noise, and small shock wave (low damage AE). In an open world, Fireworks are dangerous/need to be used responsibly. For instance. in the gnasher dungeon? right after you find the key by the fallen pillar there is a crack in the floor where you can see down into the lower floor? Suppose someone lights a firecracker and drops it down- hehe. *bang* hehehe. But what they dont know, is there was another group down there they didnt see, and that firecracker just got the attention of those spectres nearby to the sound range and are coming to investigate.

Likewise the firecracker can be used to distract a roaming NPC to go another  short way off its roaming path- provided its not alarmist in demeanor which you would not be able to tell  because of your distance from it...

light fuse, and get away.

Fuse has fixed time, throwing skill determines how far. If richochet shots are a thing and casters have a "illuminate" spell maybe, a firecracker can be dropped in a place where you will be distant from at a later time from which you can use your long distance spell/fire arrow to ignite it, if your aim is right.

Copunterfletchs's idea: Maybe what makes a rocket different from a firecracker is a twig and fuse orientation? fuse up: fire cracker, fuse down and attached to a twig: rocket (outside only). To make it easy for dev's maybe the thing that makes the rocket behave differently is the kind of twig: pine, oak, driftwood, etc creates a different pattern/color in the sky but with the same basic characteristics: flash, make noise, small shock wave. wont mean much in the air but enough for people to see and hear from a  distance as a flare, or, like hearing a series of rapid pops in the distance, enough for people to turn to see the colorful display in obvious celebration of....something. 

• 724 posts
    July 8, 2021 9:40 AM PDT

Now to add to the lore and progressive inquisitive nature of the short in stature races, they combine knowledge and develop the rifle.

So Pantheon's first expansion should be to turn this game into a mmofps.  Call of duty with elves.  Yay!.   I'm feeling silly.   

Honestly I do like the flare idea

• 2756 posts
    July 9, 2021 3:07 AM PDT

The flare concept is a great thought!  In a game where there is no minimap and lots of exploring and danger (including climbing) I can very well see distress flares being an excellent, meaningful and fun addition.

Please make it so, VR!

• 888 posts
    July 9, 2021 10:15 AM PDT
    I like the idea of using fireworks to distract mobs. If some mobs had a natural predisposition to notice them, they could be used tactically to assist with pulling it slipping past. Imagine trying to infiltrate a guarded fortification. The Rogue could fire off a distraction that draws the guards to the main gate while the rest of the group slips in the back.

They could also be used for illumination. If you're not sure what's ahead, fire one off for a quick look. To balance this, it could cause mobs in the lit up area to be more aggressive and it could even draw bandit-type mobs to come looking for you.

And to expand on my suggestion of using a red firework as a visual distress signal, this is something that friendly NPCs could also use. A caravan under attack or an outpost under siege could call for help this way. Perhaps sometimes even bandits will use them to try to lure groups into an ambush.
    • 2041 posts
    July 9, 2021 11:47 AM PDT

Counterfleche said: I like the idea of using fireworks to distract mobs. If some mobs had a natural predisposition to notice them, they could be used tactically to assist with pulling it slipping past. Imagine trying to infiltrate a guarded fortification. The Rogue could fire off a distraction that draws the guards to the main gate while the rest of the group slips in the back. They could also be used for illumination. If you're not sure what's ahead, fire one off for a quick look. To balance this, it could cause mobs in the lit up area to be more aggressive and it could even draw bandit-type mobs to come looking for you. And to expand on my suggestion of using a red firework as a visual distress signal, this is something that friendly NPCs could also use. A caravan under attack or an outpost under siege could call for help this way. Perhaps sometimes even bandits will use them to try to lure groups into an ambush.

I really like the idea of a distress flare.

I don't like the idea of fireworks as illumination or NPC distraction because some classes already have abilities for those specific purposes. Putting a crafted item in game - that theoreticaly could be bought and carried by anyone/everyone - makes those abilities meaningless.

Rogue ability: Pressurized Flask

Throw a flask of pressurized air at the target location. The flask shatters on impact, creating a loud noise that draws the attention of nearby enemies for a short time.

Ranger ability: Flare

Launch a burning arrow that sticks into the ground at target location, acting as a torch for a short time.

Druid ability: Firefly

Ask a firefly to travel with you for a while, serving as a light source.

I also think that either Cleric or Paladin may have an ability that makes their shield a light source.

• 888 posts
    July 12, 2021 7:55 AM PDT
    @Jothany, that is a good point about potential overlap with class-specific abilities. As I envision the suggestion in my head, I see illumination temporarily lighting up an area that's medium-far away for just a couple seconds (this can be done by programming it always fire in an arc on the direction it's aimed. It would be outdoor only (and not too useful in heavily forested areas). It's primary use would be a quick glimpse at what lies ahead. It would not be useful for illuminating the battlefield.

The Ranger's flame arrow differs quite a bit because the "flarrow" will probably be mostly used at close range to illuminate the battle of at medium- close to see what's nearby. Flarrow isn't for a 'let's see how dangerous that valley up ahead looks' but rather a ' what's around that next corner".

And the suggestion about it being used to distract specific NPCs should be evaluated with the goal of it not overlapping substantially with the class specific abilities. I think crafted flares / fireworks would only be useful outside in areas with a fairly open sky, so it is initially limited in that regard. I see the Rogue's p-flask being a much shorter range, more tactically-employed item. I think the only way to really know for sure is to test it, with the test being if it replaces or is used in the same circumstances, then it would be too similar and need to go.

One related idea I just had:
    If fireworks are customizable (specific colors / symbols), they could be used for identification. Imagine being able to trick an enemy NPC faction into opening the gate / lowering a bridge by firing off a stolen firework. This would make for a fun quest element. Go defeat and enemy caravan (without letting any riders escape) then use the captured firework to trick their guards.
    • 2138 posts
    July 12, 2021 8:53 AM PDT

[...]

I really like the idea of a distress flare.

I don't like the idea of fireworks as illumination or NPC distraction because some classes already have abilities for those specific purposes. Putting a crafted item in game - that theoreticaly could be bought and carried by anyone/everyone - makes those abilities meaningless.

Rogue ability: Pressurized Flask

Throw a flask of pressurized air at the target location. The flask shatters on impact, creating a loud noise that draws the attention of nearby enemies for a short time.

[...]

You're right.

I wouldn't want to take that away from rogues, thats a nifty rogue only thing. But I can see a firecracker having the same intent as a rocket- in that it brings attention...to yourself! restrictions then would be, you can't throw it only place/drop it (if it's not attached to a twig) and it can cause some small damage. It's "hidden" benefits would be RNG across 3 things, but intuitive. 1. Can draw aggro to you, briefly. 2. Can startle Mob briefly (interrupt?, higher chance on low species like bugs or small animals, gradually lowering on higher species like wolves or bears) 3. Mob is not impressed and is more annoyed than anything +1 pissedoffedness/rage/+1 aggro to group. 

So...if you stuck a firecracker in a hive and the fuse is upside down...*whoosh* ha-ha! *pop*...*blink* "zzzz...ZZZ!"  ~Bees! run!

• 2041 posts
    July 12, 2021 1:11 PM PDT

I agree, I'm all for Fireworks for entertainment and the many ideas we can come up with to use them. Just don't want them to trivialize those class abilities. Particularly since I'm an altaholic and plan to play a Rogue, Ranger and Druid among others.

• 724 posts
    July 13, 2021 10:06 AM PDT

Ranger flaming arrow shot straight up.  I wonder the range on seeing that will be.