Forums » The Summoner

My Summoner Wishlist

• 37 posts
    June 23, 2021 3:32 PM PDT

Just a wishlist of things I've always wanted to see on my favorite class the Summoner.  Most from an old D&D perspective.

Pet specific equipment and weapon summons comparable to base level equipment stats and masteries could increase rarity and stats (green, blue, purple equivilent) to the summoned items.  Summon type depends on which pet is active. If Water active with any other summons both at same time for double mana cost.

-Earth: Hammer and Shield, Plate Armor

-Air: Fist weapons or Daggers, Cloth (Monk)

-Fire: Short swords, Leather or Chain

-Water: Staff or Trident, Cloth (Healer)

Pets can be equipped with found loot items which would return to summoner's inventory on death or dismissal, dropping to ground if PC inventory is full.

An equipment slot for a light source on pets.

Pets have at least two inventory slots that can hold bags as regular inventory (On the Earth elemental at the very least).  With a corpse that doesn't disappear unless inventory is empty (normal PC decay rate if inventory slots are used.)

A summon Floating Disc type spell that the group could use as temporary portable bank by individual group members.  Mastery increases weight limits per each user. Example: At normal each group member can place 100lbs in 10 slots, Mastery 1: each can place 200lbs in 10 slots, etc. Items either persist off line incase of DC or drop, flagged only for PC that placed it on disc.

At max level have Para-elemental pet summon spells that maybe are persistant (regular pet replacement) or are not persistant (summoned and lasts a set amount of time) and can be cast along side regular pets.

-Mud (Earth + Water) CC attack pet.  Slow or Root, Hinder debuff, Physical only. If full pet would be great for kiteing.

-Smoke (Air + Fire) CC attack pet. Choke (Silence casting), Blind.  Used for casters.

-Magma (Fire + Earth) DOT damage pet with CC, Slow or Root, does a fire DOT.

-Ice (Air + Water) DOT damage pet with CC, Slow or Root, does a cold DOT.

Quasi-elemental attack spells instead of the usual fireball or ray of frost type spells:

- Summon Lightning:  Target location spell. Electrical energy damage. Chance to Stun. AoE

- Summon Mineral:  Physical damage. As target location spell (spikes) has chance to stagger or if projectile chance to bleed.

- Summon Radiance: Projectile spell. Light energy damage. Extra damage vs. negative creatures. Chance to blind.

- Summon Steam: Projectile spell.  Fire damage that also places target in "wet" state.

- Summon Ash Cloud: Target location spell. Toxic DoT and chance to blind. AoE.

- Summon Dust/Salt Cloud: Target location spell. Physical DoT from abrasions and causes silence. AoE.

- Summon Vacuum:  Target location spell.  Causes mobs within X range to be sucked together at spell location.

Wall of Wood Spell upgrades to Wall of Stone and then Wall of Iron.  Either masteries or seperate spell lines.

Summon Group spell. Summons party members to your location.

Spatial Anchor spell.  Allows you to create a bind point anywhere then summon yourself to it.

Both of these would be great for camping and progression runs.

Summon Gilded Cage:  Places a physical and magical barrier around friendly target or self that reduces all incoming damage by X% but effectively roots the target while in effect. Can be removed by target at will.

Summon Bubble:  Creates sphere of breathable air around targets head.

Place holder for other ideas.

This post was edited by MalFelis at June 27, 2021 5:06 PM PDT
    • 50 posts
    June 23, 2021 10:02 PM PDT

para-elemental spell, mud. I like it!

• 6 posts
    June 28, 2021 9:04 AM PDT

Using EQ Magician as a "base-line".

Summon pets: elementals, monsters (random creature in the zone), and their equipment.

Summon consumables (food, water, arrows, throwing knives, bandages, etc.)

Summon equipment (we had rings, shoulders, bracers, etc. that could buff you with levitation, increase crit change, lower mana costs, etc.). We also had weight reduction bags. Sucks if you logged with something inside.

Summon other players

Change I would like to see:

1) Call of the Hero (player summon was way too high of a spell level, would like to be able to use it sooner)

2) The different elemental pets did not feel that different.

3) Love the idea of summon wall. If the game is going to be a challenge (I hope it is), everyone should have some form of CC.

4) Something other than mod rods to help the group with mana.

5) Pets were dumb. Water pet made no attempt to move the back of a mob to backstab, etc. Teach them a few tricks.

6) More equipment with effects/buffs. I think this type of stuff got me the most double takes, not believing I can just summon this stuff for casters anytime.

7) Maybe a dot or two. Just something else to cast. Casting DDs all the time gets boring.

8) Summon more consumables/equipment (torches, acclimation gear ?, etc.)

• 85 posts
    June 29, 2021 6:59 AM PDT

Im playing Divinity 2 at the moment, and here the summoner has a spell to give his pet some ranged ability. I think, thats a nice idea for the Pantheon Summoner as well. Pets are pretty useless, when the mob casts some short range AOE that kills the pet after 1-2 casts. Some kind of possibility to turn the pet into some ranged damage dealer would be really nice and add some tactical fun.

• 37 posts
    June 29, 2021 9:15 PM PDT

Matrulak said:

Im playing Divinity 2 at the moment, and here the summoner has a spell to give his pet some ranged ability. I think, thats a nice idea for the Pantheon Summoner as well. Pets are pretty useless, when the mob casts some short range AOE that kills the pet after 1-2 casts. Some kind of possibility to turn the pet into some ranged damage dealer would be really nice and add some tactical fun.

The old Summoner class page listed ranged abilities for I believe the Air and Water pet.  The Air pet seemed designed to switch between melee and ranged. Hopefully some of that stuff stays in the class makeup.

• 37 posts
    June 29, 2021 9:31 PM PDT

Qiddy said:

Summon pets: elementals, monsters (random creature in the zone), and their equipment.  I love the idea of random creature summons.

Summon consumables (food, water, arrows, throwing knives, bandages, etc.)  Absolutely.

Summon equipment (we had rings, shoulders, bracers, etc. that could buff you with levitation, increase crit change, lower mana costs, etc.). We also had weight reduction bags. Sucks if you logged with something inside.  Summoning something like J-Boots with a limited duration or Feather Fall rings for the group would be pretty cool.

7) Maybe a dot or two. Just something else to cast. Casting DDs all the time gets boring.  I would love to see anything different than a Wizard's fireball as a standard DD.  Summoners occupying a space between Wizard DD and AoE and (Probably) Necro DoTs with a elemental theme and a swiss army knife kind of kit. Steam Bolt: heat damage + places in wet state which Druids (or any lightning casters) can capitalize on, Acid Bolt: acid damage + DoT, Wind Burst: DD damage + knockback.  Endless possiblities here.

This post was edited by MalFelis at June 29, 2021 9:33 PM PDT
    • 98 posts
    September 14, 2021 4:49 AM PDT

It is a bit early to have precise ideas to summarize into a wishlist, but one thing is important to me, coming from EQ : the pet categories need to be really different from each other and none should prevail significantly in usefulness.

In EQ magicians had four types of regular pets plus the Monster Summoning line (started in Velious era) but none of the pets felt unique compared to the others, they were too close, too similar. The unique procs or spells (damage shield for fire pet, stun for air pet, water DD for water pet and backstab, root for earth pet) were too weak or meaningless to guide the choice of the pet which was more a tank vs. dps decision, making over the years the air pet the best compromise and the everyday pet. From PoP onwards, people saw magicians running around with an air pet for everyday play and with a water pet for raiding. The earth pet is used very unfrequently because its root is more of an annoyance and its better tanking abilities were not better enough compared to the air pet. And the fire pet got nerfed into oblivion in several patches after 2015 making it totally unused.

I would like every pet category to be meaningful in Pantheon, and every category to feel different and have its own purposes. The water pet for healing is a good step in this direction. I hope the air, the fire and the earth pet will be different enough from each other. I wish they will suit different gameplay decisions or situations, allowing for flexibility in tactical choices for the Summoner. 

• 46 posts
    September 14, 2021 7:42 AM PDT

MalFelis said:

Quasi-elemental attack spells instead of the usual fireball or ray of frost type spells:

- Summon Lightning:  Target location spell. Electrical energy damage. Chance to Stun. AoE

- Summon Mineral:  Physical damage. As target location spell (spikes) has chance to stagger or if projectile chance to bleed.

- Summon Radiance: Projectile spell. Light energy damage. Extra damage vs. negative creatures. Chance to blind.

- Summon Steam: Projectile spell.  Fire damage that also places target in "wet" state.

- Summon Ash Cloud: Target location spell. Toxic DoT and chance to blind. AoE.

- Summon Dust/Salt Cloud: Target location spell. Physical DoT from abrasions and causes silence. AoE.

- Summon Vacuum:  Target location spell.  Causes mobs within X range to be sucked together at spell location.

These give me strong Dark Ages of Camelot Animist vibes and I like them. The Animist would summon nature spirits to do various things, usually explode for damage. They were kind of like a cross between a temporary pet and a bolt type spell that had a physical presence. So they had to cross over terrain to get to their target. They could go over hills and stuff but could potentially be blocked by walls and shields. I think they got kind of nerfed but at first they were quite strong because of the weakness of them being fairly slow and blockable. It really made the class feel way different from other casters despite really doing a lot of the same things.