Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Cosmetic Question

• 4 posts
    June 13, 2021 10:51 PM PDT

Is there a plan to allow you to choose which hand your main hand weapon will be in? Such as longsword in left hand and shield in right for the lefties out there.

• 2756 posts
    June 14, 2021 1:49 AM PDT

TStock said:

Is there a plan to allow you to choose which hand your main hand weapon will be in? Such as longsword in left hand and shield in right for the lefties out there.

Pretty sure I remember this being asked in some stream or other and the issue being 'recognised' as a 'thing' for eventual consideration.  There's quite a few things like that though hehe.

VR are thoughtful and considerate of these things, but it's very early days, still.

• 1281 posts
    June 14, 2021 11:31 AM PDT

TStock said:

You triggered me when you said "Cosmetic" ... lol You're new here so I forgive you.

But about the left hand/right hand - I believe the issue was a memory constraint because that change is not just cosmetic but would require them holding twice the amount of animations in memory that require a 'handedness'.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 14, 2021 11:32 AM PDT
    • 612 posts
    June 14, 2021 1:32 PM PDT

Couldn't they just use the exact same animations but Mirrored?

• 560 posts
    June 14, 2021 5:48 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

I was wondering the same thing.

I do think it would be a neat feature. Not high on my list but I could see it being important to others.

• 1404 posts
    June 14, 2021 7:15 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

#6 Mirroring Animation Clips in Unity

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=55547403D6EDE688C48D55547403D6EDE688C48D&q=unity+and+mirrored+animations&shtp=GetUrl&shid=61af24cc-2e3c-4433-8bbc-1ad662a7a61d&shtk=IzYgTWlycm9yaW5nIEFuaW1hdGlvbiBDbGlwcyBpbiBVbml0eQ%3D%3D&shdk=SW4gdGhpcyB2aWRlbyB3ZSB3aWxsIGJlIE1pcnJvcmluZyBBbmltYXRpb24gQ2xpcHMgaW4gVW5pdHkuIFRoaXMgc2VyaWVzIG9mIHZpZGVvcyBoYXZlIGJlZW4gY3JlYXRlZCB0byBndWlkZSB5b3UgdGhyb3VnaCBzb21lIG9mIHRoZSBrZXkgY29uY2VwdHMgdG8gc2V0dGluZyB1cCBhIEh1bWFub2lkIENoYXJhY3RlcnMgYW5kIGNvbmZpZ3VyaW5nIGRpZmZlcmVudCBBbmltYXRpb24gU3RhdGVzIGZvciB0aGUgQ2hhcmFjdGVyLg%3D%3D&shhk=lBN2LrFAZbbPGYqcOs1e5h%2BBmivQF3A1mtrFYE39BPs%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OSH.IROVKI42FHJDPauqdEltUA

Unity DOES support some animation mirrioring. A lot of things I'm not willing see them hold up launch for much, but I would HOPE this is one thing they would insist on having working. Not so much just so a player can be left or right hnded... but "HYPOTHETICALY" a char at creation could choose left or right handed, then at progeny char could choose the other making them "ambidextrous" 

Certain mobs being vulnerable to left or right handed attacks?

edit #8 Valtra suggest 1 level up for right, another for left handed, then the third could be abidextrous.

This post was edited by Zorkon at June 15, 2021 7:56 PM PDT
    • 612 posts
    June 15, 2021 4:46 AM PDT

I was also considering that this also could depend on if they wanted to make this just a client side thing for your own personal view or if they want to force other players to view you as left handed on their screens as well.

It may be much simpler if it was just a toggle you have on your own client that just flips the animations for your character (or maybe even a setting to flip all characters animations) that only affects the way you see things when you are playing. Other players would then see animations the way they have set in their options. Done this way you could change the options at will and see the animations in whichever orientation suits you each day.

If you want to make sure other people see you as left handed as well, then this means the server would need to be notified of your characters choice and it would likely need to be a permanent thing chosen at character creation. The server would then notify each Client of the orientation to display animations for a character as they come into your orbit, much like it notifies your client on which armour and weapons to display for that character.

This could then likely apply to other types of animations as well, such as Waving emotes, or Dancing emotes. All of these could likely be mirrored as well.

• 1281 posts
    June 15, 2021 5:07 AM PDT

I doubt it's as easy as checking a box in the editor. If they are using toosl outside of Unity for animation, which I believe they are, then there is likely more to this. This would be a good question to ask for the next VIP with the art guys.

• 2138 posts
    June 15, 2021 6:10 AM PDT

Im pretty sure I can say NPC's can be left handed. IIRC the Female elf leader, the red head? (I forget if she's the sophisticated elves, or the outcast, non-dark elves), she was left handed. 

So, ifan NPc can be left handed, maybe that can be segway'ed into PC's?

• 1281 posts
    June 15, 2021 2:30 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Im pretty sure I can say NPC's can be left handed. IIRC the Female elf leader, the red head? (I forget if she's the sophisticated elves, or the outcast, non-dark elves), she was left handed. 

So, ifan NPc can be left handed, maybe that can be segway'ed into PC's?

If you are talking about the concept art released a year or so ago, I showed in that thread that if you mirror the image she appears right handed. Point is, we don't know if the image released was itself mirrored from the original. It's not confirmation at all that characters can be left handed.

This is something developers will need to confirm can be done or show us in game. Otherwise it's simply speculation based on zero evidence.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 15, 2021 2:31 PM PDT