Forums » Harvesting

Nodes placement

• 246 posts
    May 22, 2021 2:12 AM PDT
    So I hope that every starting area for every race would have a balanced Node system so that no matter what race you are you could start any of the different crafting skills. Does anyone know if it will be this way or if certain races will happen To have a distinct advantage Insert and crafting skills due to notes being more available aka dwarf having easier time doing metal work do to more node vs skar do to being in the mud ...
    • 624 posts
    May 23, 2021 10:13 AM PDT

I think Nephele said something about each zone having items needed for each crafting to level you up, but the specific resources might be unique to the area. For example, in Thronefast area the Humans may find Apples that they can use to make Apple pies to level up their Outfitting skills. While in Faerthale the Elves instead find Plums which they can use in Plum Pudding to level up their Outfitting skills. Both races have access to leveling up their Outfitting skill, but it may be a different experience.

Humans may make Oak Bows, while Elves may make Pine Bows.
    Dwarfs might make Obsidian Axes, while Skar might make Rino-Tusk Axes.

That kind of thing.

As for Metals, this may be more homogenized across the various starting zones, but maybe Nephele can shed more light on that.

• 1180 posts
    May 23, 2021 1:13 PM PDT

Nephele also said in a DRT that "Where you start and where you spend your time will heavily impact what harvesting skills would be useful to you as a crafter"

While a bit cryptic (good job, Nephe) I interpret this to mean that while you should be able to learn crafting/harvesting anywhere, many/most starting areas & regions are likely to be significantly better for SOME resources than for others.

• 246 posts
    May 23, 2021 9:12 PM PDT
    I get some starting areas probably better for certain skills But I would hope there every start area has at least a little bit of all the different traits skills materials to be found so if you want to be a skar metal Smith you could even know your mud
    • 1836 posts
    May 24, 2021 8:08 AM PDT

Each racial home and starting area will allow you the opportunity to learn and use any of the different crafting and gathering professions.  There are Skar blacksmiths and Ogre alchemists, have no fear :)

Likewise, the resources and ingredients that you gather will be relatively consistent worldwide at the beginning.  What you will find as you progress however is that each continent and region has unique resources to offer.  So as you branch out and start to learn more, you may find that the items you're making are fundamentally different from the items that someone somewhere else is making, because of the different resources that each of you have access to.  You may also find yourself wanting to travel (or trade) more to get access to more of those unique resources, or even to learn how to make different styles and types of items.

• 246 posts
    May 24, 2021 11:40 AM PDT
    That's what I was hoping for
    • 437 posts
    June 10, 2021 10:45 AM PDT
    I prefer the idea of regional specialties, since that creates a world that feels like it has more distinct regions. It fits with fantasy lore too--the Dwarves being the best miners, elves the best fletchers, etc. This also creates regional imbalances, which is a great driver for trade and exploration. If my character wants the very best of something, I should be prepared to journey to the area associated with that specialty (or buy it from a trader).

Different areas should have different resources, making each area somewhat interdependent with the others. This is a group-focused game, and that same kind of class interdependence we have when grouping should be applied to regions when it comes to resources.
    • 3060 posts
    June 13, 2021 5:28 PM PDT

I agree with respect to specialties and variations between regions. But I also agree that every starting area should have all crafts available and every starting zone should have materials for all crafts. Thus a dwarf area may have more ore but it can still have e.g. wood and hides and plants. Even if elves prospect and smith at a handicap there is no reason an elf shouldn't be able to do both.

• 52 posts
    June 15, 2021 1:20 PM PDT

Perhaps the starting zone can have a mix of everything generic? Just enough to get someone acquainted with a craft but saving the exotic nodes for dangerous places ;) 

• 246 posts
    June 15, 2021 1:37 PM PDT
    I believe that's kind of what nephele said if you read his post Your basics will be found in all starting zones. I imagine it'll probably be veryed on how much of it but you'll still be able to get it. Basically I figure you know if you want to make a sword you should be able to find the basic materials for that in your starting zone saying goes with a staff a bow a porridge Maybe even some gold so you can make some rings or maybe it's only cough or you'll find either way you so probably build to make some basic stuff. But rarer staff will be probably found deeper in the zone and in harder areas or in dungeons has stated above.