Forums » The Ranger

Go Elf or not

• 38 posts
    April 24, 2021 9:22 AM PDT

Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Ill probably go Ranger with my first character and as ive read the race descriptions i kind of got the notion that ember elf isnt a bad choice. But is there a better one?

Any opinions on that?

• 23 posts
    April 24, 2021 5:23 PM PDT

I'm not sure they've released any racial passive traits to say which is better, but I plan to play a halfling regardless. If you want to play an elf, play an elf.

• 1330 posts
    April 24, 2021 7:14 PM PDT

From what we know right now, Ember Elves seems to have the most beneficial Racial Passive traits. But Active traits are likely to be more significant than Passive, and they haven't been revealed yet. So no better choice right now, but maybe one later.

Also, we've been told that Racial traits are intended to add 'flavor' to the choices, not to be the defining characteristic. Told that any Race able to play a Class can do fine as that Class. So maybe other choices just as good, if you wanted to play one of them.

I had first planned my Ranger to be E. Elf too. But I want to play many Classes and hope to play every Race. And it turns out that making my Ranger a Halfling fits better for my overall plan. So my plans have changed. I'll still have lots of fun.

Glad to see another Ranger in Terminus. Hope to see you in the game.

• 166 posts
    April 25, 2021 5:22 PM PDT

I think all three classes available to the ranger are viable and have some value.

Ember elves probably have the best outright damage output racial which allows them to get a bonus from points in dexterity.

Halflings have the passive which grants a bonus to the effect of consumables. This one might be a good second choice (or even competitive with the elven passive) depending on how consumables are handled and what kind of stat modifications they provide. However, it does mean that you need to have consumables to see any benefit.

Humans probably have the worst passive when it comes to damage output. However, they have the ability to gain reputation faster which could come in handy if you were working on professions and trying to get a faction-specific recipe or you are trying to something else that might be faction specific. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, if I were going to main a ranger I would probably pick the ember elves with the halflings being a close second. Both of those races have racial abilities which could impact damage performance, and It could be possible that the halfling racial is better depending on the tuning. It's hard to know. 

If I were using the ranger as an alt and I wanted him to focus on professions, I would probably make him a human so he could obtain faction-specific recipes or navigate areas where he needed reputation. 

With that being said I feel like all the race choices are viable, and if the game is designed right it really shouldn't matter what race you play as long as you are having fun. 

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at April 25, 2021 5:26 PM PDT