Forums » The Dark Myr

Why "Dark"?

• 11 posts
    April 20, 2021 9:27 AM PDT

Is there a reason why they are not just called "Myr"? I think "Dark" gives the impression that they are evil, but I don't think they are evil, I think they're just unhappy about being trapped on a new planet that was uninhabitable by them until a sacrificial last resort to give them lungs. Is "Dark" a reference or implication to something else?

• 325 posts
    April 20, 2021 9:57 AM PDT

Theres going to be a opposing faction called Light Myr, they have the fish half on top and the human half on bottom. (/sarcasm)

• 2010 posts
    April 20, 2021 11:38 AM PDT

They are evil, along with Ogre and Skar.

Nuetral races are Archai, Dwarves and gnomes.

Good are Elves, Humans and halflings.

They are grouped together on each continent based on their alignment.

Dark Myr are the Pantheon version of Dark Elves.

• 11 posts
    April 20, 2021 11:39 AM PDT

philo said:

Zero nuance. If Humans are "Good" that means there are no "evil" classes, right? Otherwise Humans wouldn't be allowed to be all classes.

philo said: 

The "Dark" in "Dark Elves" is to differentiate them from other elves. What other Myr are there that need to be differentiated from Dark Myr?

This post was edited by hombom at April 20, 2021 11:41 AM PDT
    • 2010 posts
    April 20, 2021 11:44 AM PDT

hombom said:

philo said:

The "Dark" in "Dark Elves" is to differentiate them from other elves. What other Myr are there that need to be differentiated from Dark Myr?

Don't read into that statement to much.  You can dig up threads of people comparing dark myr to dark elves.  That is just the community making that comparison.  Not an official statement from VR that Dark myr are based on dark elves.  

The rest of my post did come from VR though...about how races are divided by alignment.  3 per continent.  Good/nuetral/evil continents.

• 2010 posts
    April 20, 2021 11:47 AM PDT

hombom said:

philo said:

Zero nuance. If Humans are "Good" that means there are no "evil" classes, right? Otherwise Humans wouldn't be allowed to be all classes.

You edited your post.

Class will affect faction.  That is a whole other conversation than racial alignment.

• 1452 posts
    April 20, 2021 4:50 PM PDT

It also can be derived from the lore. The Myr were created by the Goddess Syronai (long back story) and she was their most beloved Deity. When the Myr first arrived on Terminus, they could not breath the water. Their War God Nythir tried to help them first, and died in the failed attempt. After he perished, his most devoted followers, the Nythirian Guard, set themselves to die with him.

At that point, the Goddess Syronai sacrificed her immortality to change the Myr and give them a lung to breath the air. This saved them. Unfortunately, the Nythirian Guard felt violated and dishonored by being saved this way after choosing to die with their God. When they emerged from the water and saw Syronai lying exhausted on the beach, they fell upon her and destroyed her. Since then, they have sometimes been called the "Dread Myr".

The lore on the Myr race page then says "The agony of losing Syronai poisoned the Myr hearts as had the deadly oceans, sorrow twisting into bitterness, then hate, until darkness consumed them." And thus "their native beauty, valor and nobility have rusted down to bitter ornaments. A vast disdain for other races lurks beneath their tranquil surface, calling none friend and few honored as foe."

And yes, they are on the continent that was originally defined as the home of the 'evil' aligned races. Even though in recent history, VR has moved away from the 'good vs. evil' implication to simply one of faction.

This post was edited by Jothany at April 20, 2021 4:55 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    April 20, 2021 10:59 PM PDT

Yes, I too have read the race description on the website. Which is why I ask, why "Dark" Myr?

• 2010 posts
    April 20, 2021 11:20 PM PDT

hombom said:

Yes, I too have read the race description on the website. Which is why I ask, why "Dark" Myr?

Because they are evil. 

Joth gave you an excerpt from the lore.  It is the same quote I used in another thread discussing the same thing back in 2017.

The agony of losing Syronai poisoned the Myr hearts as had the deadly oceans, sorrow twisting into bitterness, then hate, until darkness consumed them.

If that ^ isn't a good enough explanation for why they are dark/evil I'm not sure what more you want?

Another way to look at it is that people don't always think of mermaids/mermen as evil like dark myr are (that is the basis of the name and why it is pronounced "mer" as explained by the devs).  The dark part of the name should make their alignment more clear.

This post was edited by philo at April 20, 2021 11:23 PM PDT
    • 3002 posts
    April 22, 2021 11:12 AM PDT

Why not listen to the lore master himself talk about it? They certainly don't sound evil to me, perhaps just not the nicest of people toward others. 

https://youtu.be/6kfe5VDk1uM?t=878

• 73 posts
    June 14, 2021 9:58 PM PDT

hombom said:

Is there a reason why they are not just called "Myr"? I think "Dark" gives the impression that they are evil, but I don't think they are evil, I think they're just unhappy about being trapped on a new planet that was uninhabitable by them until a sacrificial last resort to give them lungs. Is "Dark" a reference or implication to something else?

To expound more on the notion of "dark"...

You can interpret the Myr's 'darkness' in two contexts. 'Dark' can ellicit a ethical/moral blemish or a metaphysical one. 

The ethical/moral darkness being psychological  embittered, guilt, and bitterness towards themselves and others. 

The metaphysical darkness being fallen from their former glory, change of phenotype, and death of their goddess, Syronai.

Both blemishes have essentially fractured their nous (soul) and body- they have not only lost communion with Syronai but are now on a realm foreign to them. They feel rootless as a race and perhaps torn, biologically speaking. I believe their metaphysical darkness has invoked the psychological effects of excessive pride/aloofness and resentment towards other less fractured races; Perhaps this is a sort of projection to cover up their spiritual insecurities. Hence, the "Myr" became "Dark Myr"

This post was edited by Jiub at June 15, 2021 9:50 AM PDT
    • 695 posts
    June 18, 2021 6:07 AM PDT

Dark Myr rolls off the tongue easier than 'Broody Myr' or 'Angsty Myr'

• 503 posts
    October 9, 2021 9:46 PM PDT
    "Just Going Through a Phase Myr".
    • 279 posts
    October 10, 2021 3:21 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: "Just Going Through a Phase Myr".

LOL

• 1452 posts
    October 10, 2021 3:57 PM PDT

You guys should use correct grammar.

Which would be "Myr-ly going through a phase"