Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Group consumables

• 768 posts
    April 6, 2021 7:59 AM PDT

I was thinking about craftable consumables that are interactable and as more and more groupmembers (raidmembers?) interact/consume that same item, the buff goes stronger.

An example is a provisioner that created a nice pig roast and is able to place it onto a spit in a public area (tavern?).

The players of this guild or group (both could be possible) interact with the roast. And as people interact to consume, the buff grows based on the number of players.

The idea is to provide some sort of interactable consumable (sharpening wheel for weapons? magical item to pool energy? etc.) that stimulates groups to come together in the game.

So you'll see in the game, groups of players together consuming or interacting with something. Even to the scale of a raidforce creating a buzz around a forge or big fire.

Different groupbuffs, do not stack. So depending on the challenging they are going for, they could choose to go for magic buff, mitigation buff, dps buff, hp regen buff etc.

You can make this as complex as you want, but the concept can already start very basic and simple. 

These recipes are not easely accesable, so you'll want those devoted crafters to obtain such recipes. The buffs are not overwhelmingly strong, but it does enhance to a degree. 

These buffs have a duration (couple of hours?) and as players split up, the buff decreases or dissappears. The point remains that it's a something that stimulates people to come together before going to battle and "hang out". This brings me to another suggestion; the buff might only appear when multiple players (in group or raid) stand within a certain area. If you're there alone, nothing happens. Seperate groups do not gain the same way a raidforce will. Group and raidbuff do not stack.

What do you think about this concept?

• 94 posts
    April 6, 2021 10:56 AM PDT

I always like the idea of consumables that are crafted and can be used by multiple people at once (raid/group). My only concern comes from them taking over the end game consumable market. Using your pig roast as an example, if one pig roast feeds 20 people then that means 19 people aren't using the consumables they would normally and 19 consumables that aren't crafted or purchased by a crafting player. As long as the pig roast is hard enough to acquire or expensive enough to warrant that equation I'm fine with it.

I do like the idea of the pig roast being for multiple characters but not be in direct competition to other individual players consumables. I think it would be awesome if we had a a group consumable item that helped combat an environment effect. Maybe a Fizzy Lifting Cauldron to help in an Anaerobic or slow movement environment or perhaps consumables from various racial sources that imbibe some of the same benefits that race gets against the environment ie Warm Dwarven Pig Roast to help in an extreme cold environment. Even a crafted armor/weapon repair golem that you can summon and everyone can use after a raid wipe to repair their gear.

• 500 posts
    April 6, 2021 12:29 PM PDT

Edaemus said:

I always like the idea of consumables that are crafted and can be used by multiple people at once (raid/group). My only concern comes from them taking over the end game consumable market. Using your pig roast as an example, if one pig roast feeds 20 people then that means 19 people aren't using the consumables they would normally and 19 consumables that aren't crafted or purchased by a crafting player. As long as the pig roast is hard enough to acquire or expensive enough to warrant that equation I'm fine with it.

I do like the idea of the pig roast being for multiple characters but not be in direct competition to other individual players consumables. I think it would be awesome if we had a a group consumable item that helped combat an environment effect. Maybe a Fizzy Lifting Cauldron to help in an Anaerobic or slow movement environment or perhaps consumables from various racial sources that imbibe some of the same benefits that race gets against the environment ie Warm Dwarven Pig Roast to help in an extreme cold environment. Even a crafted armor/weapon repair golem that you can summon and everyone can use after a raid wipe to repair their gear.

Agree 100%. Keep those group consumable recipes on the rare side. They should be a special treat, and used only on special occasions. Also, I like the ideas in your second paragraph as well. Nice post.

@Barin999 Really good ideas that could be useful in moderation. Well done.

• 23 posts
    April 7, 2021 1:38 AM PDT

hi

should be good to have a specific skill or with expriences or maybe for a specific race to find more rare consumables 

should be good for market and sociale

• 768 posts
    April 7, 2021 9:44 AM PDT

Edaemus said:

You could use different buffs between solo and group consumables. You can make it so that the players need to choose between them. The groupbuff only works when you're grouped or in a raidforce. So personal food and drink can still be attuned to the player's specific needs. 

Making these rare would not be a longtime solution. It might take more resources where the group or raidforce (or guild) can aid the craftsmen with providing these. When the resources are consumed, it will take some time again to gather all those resources.  (Or for example, some time needs to pass by before that provisioner can purchase a pig that has grown enough to be slaughtered.)

These resources might not only be raw but some elements could be refactured or refined. This could make these buffs less prevalent.

This post was edited by Barin999 at April 7, 2021 9:45 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 7, 2021 10:25 AM PDT

IMO:
    It doesn't matter how common or powerful or long-lasting the buffs or rewards are (within reasonable limits), provided the means to acquire them is an economic, time, and/or resource sink and not a tap.
    Or put another way, provided the group buff is a sink, making the reward a BIG carrot is a great way to encourage participating in the sink.

Temporary rewards that consume items, time, resources, and/or currency from the game are one way to strongly encourage positive emergent player behavior.

This post was edited by vjek at April 7, 2021 10:25 AM PDT
    • 500 posts
    April 7, 2021 10:26 AM PDT

There are some good ideas here. Hopefully Nephele will take a look.

• 768 posts
    April 30, 2021 6:40 AM PDT

Another example might be praying at a shrine.

The groupconsumable would be the Blessing received at that shrine. And the shrine or the time it takes for the shrine to gift another blessing will determine the value/rarity of the buff.

The buff is a solo buff, granted to those doing the praying (or those within close proximity?).

Even better might be that it requires offerings to be placed. So if enough players do an offering within a short timeframe, the Blessing will occur. Offerings might be crafted goods or scavenged goods. (the shrine might require some fixes from resource in the region/area)

(at least) Two ways that the blessing will vanish:

1. The distance between you and the shrine becomes too big and you loose the buff.

2. You pray at another shrine or receive a competing/similar buff and it cancels out your first received blessing.

The focus of this suggestion lays with having random people coming together. There is no requirement for them to be in the same group or to stay in their group to make use of that Blessing. You bring people together, at a location in the world, although their goals, playstyles or actions beyond that shrine are not the same. You create player-encounters, none violent ones.

Detailed might this mean: everyone can pray at a shrine. With just 1 player it will take some time to receive that Blessing. The more people join, the faster that Blessing occurs (excluding the reoccurance of that Blessing) With a cut off number, where it doesn't matter how many people are praying, it can no longer be sped up further.  You can take a number such as 3-5 for example to be max amount of beneficials prayers. All surplus prayers will not influence the speed of the occurance. And again, nothing will influence the "recast-time" of that particular shrine. 

If that sounds confusing: Background timer starts after a Blessing, 30 minutes must pass before the Shrine can be influenced again. (timer may differ depending on how you design it) So no matter with how many you start praying, directly after a Blessing has occurred, it will still take 30 min's minimum, before your praying will influence a count down. After those 30 minutes, the Shrine becomes influencable again. Where no Blessing occurs when no one is continuously praying. And it only start when at least 1 player is praying. With 1 player, it will take about 20 minutes for the Blessing to occur. And every extra player praying (up to 3-5) will decrease that time with X factor. In other words, the countdown is being sped up. 

Going even further (sorry about this)...Depending which diety/god/entity that shrine is honouring, it might require different types of offerings. (Bringing back the economy and tradeskill into this) While scavenging will still work, as within the area, there might be resources that relate to that diety. So when you're preparing yourself to climb the mountain with Shrine of the godking on route, you might like to take offerings for the godking along. To enhance your travels.

This post was edited by Barin999 at April 30, 2021 7:01 AM PDT