Forums » The Dire Lord

• 53 posts
    September 5, 2021 4:00 PM PDT

I wouldn't put too much stock in intermittent offhand attacks.  Don't get me wrong, it could help, but I'd imagine there will be times in the DL career where a big 2hander will out do dual wield in DPS.

I still say our way to earn a spot in dps, would be in an AoE group, spreading the dps around with our skills, and having the dire mark helping the main tank mitigate better.

If we have skills keying off our main hand weapon for damage, like our bleeds, that might even make a 2hander all around better.  Will be interesting to see how they code it.

I imagine the double warrior shield block skill, will be more often employed in raids than groups, unless warriors are that plentiful.  Even if, you'd have to talk the OT into not using his 2hander or perhaps dual wield, and not get to enjoy higher damage numbers than regular

• 336 posts
    September 5, 2021 4:59 PM PDT
    Unless you have really crappy one-handed weapons dual wielding has always produced higher DPS. It's very rare otherwise and we don't know how intermittent is going to be especially considering that we're not able to use a shield if we may have less or no penalty for off-hand. As well as we have a couple skills that heal us from damage done So to help tank the more DPS you can do the more you can help maintain your health.. ae The more viable tank you were going to be.. But yeah there might be a few times before you find upgrades to your one hand that a two-hander may do more but it's going to be probably pretty rare why do you think rogues rangers most of them all duel wield. Plus that could also give you a bonus to reposits and reposts with active using two weapons over one. We don't know how they have it set up but if it's based on a block before I posit or repost on a swing then you have two swings to one or four to one depending on delay on two-hander
    • 804 posts
    September 5, 2021 6:38 PM PDT

Blyte said:

If we have skills keying off our main hand weapon for damage, like our bleeds, that might even make a 2hander all around better.  Will be interesting to see how they code it.

I don't have the direct source of this handy, but if I remember correctly VR has said that Abilities that do damage that is based on your Weapon Damage it will combine both Main Hand and Off-Hand weapons when calculating the Weapon Damage for the Ability. So even when Dual Wielding your Abilities should do similar damage as when using a 2-Hander as long as both weapons are approximately the same power level as the 2-Hander.

As for Dire Lords choosing Dual Wield vs 2-Hander, Joppa addressed this in the September 24, 2020 Dev Stream (source), and he talked about there being various bonuses that will be applied to both of these fighting styles and you will likely alternate depending on which bonus is more useful to you in a particular situation. So you will likely want to carry around both two 1-hander weapons and a 2-Hander weapon so you can swap based on need.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at September 5, 2021 6:38 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    September 6, 2021 4:02 PM PDT

Goofy, that is a smart and more balanced way to code it, from my gaming experience.

Raidil, I think you see rogues and rangers dual wielding, because that's what that gaming company wanted them to do, it's rare you see a 2hander useable by a rogue in an mmo.  (I will tell you that the midgard rogues in DAoC would light you up with burst damage from a big two handed sword, because they were the only one who had the option.  In EQ rangers would sometimes have a better alternative with a 2handed sword from time to time, but the designers would proliferate the one handed options for them in the game, because fast damage spam is fun to watch!  Kidding.. because that is what they wanted their iconic look to be.  IE having 1handed epics in EQ.  The SK epic was a two handed, so I didn't want it.  If I ever get to play a human DL with shield, I am dreading the day i see the two handed axe announced as the epic.  But i will likely be a human warrior, if the class keeps going toward light tank/dps.

Edit- I blame drizzt and that rogue from the 2nd conan movie, lol

This post was edited by Blyte at September 6, 2021 4:39 PM PDT
    • 336 posts
    September 6, 2021 7:29 PM PDT
    Yeah I can definitely see where it seems like we're light tank and DPS I just made a comment And the other post that's similar where I don't think we're as much of a light tank just maybe they're going to take a little differently.
    • 216 posts
    December 1, 2021 3:20 PM PST

I see Dire Lord so far as magic tank, off tank, and potentially a debuffer/crowd control with decent damage. Being pure DPS I highly doubt it, as Dire Lord still has access to pretty good armor and self healing.

• 1267 posts
    January 12, 2022 6:56 AM PST

Blyte said:

Goofy, that is a smart and more balanced way to code it, from my gaming experience.

Raidil, I think you see rogues and rangers dual wielding, because that's what that gaming company wanted them to do, it's rare you see a 2hander useable by a rogue in an mmo.  (I will tell you that the midgard rogues in DAoC would light you up with burst damage from a big two handed sword, because they were the only one who had the option.  In EQ rangers would sometimes have a better alternative with a 2handed sword from time to time, but the designers would proliferate the one handed options for them in the game, because fast damage spam is fun to watch!  Kidding.. because that is what they wanted their iconic look to be.  IE having 1handed epics in EQ.  The SK epic was a two handed, so I didn't want it.  If I ever get to play a human DL with shield, I am dreading the day i see the two handed axe announced as the epic.  But i will likely be a human warrior, if the class keeps going toward light tank/dps.

Edit- I blame drizzt and that rogue from the 2nd conan movie, lol

I'd just like to confirm that the Midgard hunter wrecked people :)  I couldn't believe how OP of a class it was... stealth up to someone, sneak attack with a halberd and snare them, then if they're melee, disengage and finish them off with arrows, or just continue to crush them with 2h if squishy.  (Their back flip dodge animation while twirling around a polearm and jumping spin attacks made the combat feel awesome too!)

I also fear that your concern for the DL 'epic' weapon being a greataxe or some other 2h is warranted.  

The DL will absolutely not weild a shield; so if you're looking for a sword-n-board tank, I would definitely recommend Warrior or Paladin.

This post was edited by Darch at January 12, 2022 7:00 AM PST