Forums » The Dire Lord

Direlord... Diremonk

• 315 posts
    March 15, 2021 9:39 PM PDT
    So I just realized that the monk will have basically the same ability as a dire lord to heal with the damage they're doing means that this is not a unique thing at all for the dire lord which is to me disappointing. I always thought this is our Lord would be the only class that can heal from the damage done as it's kind of an evil thing and makes us a unique class. If the monk is high DPS class means they're going to heal three times more as well which is also disappointing considering we're supposed to be a tank meaning they might be able to out tank us.
    • 293 posts
    March 15, 2021 11:01 PM PDT

The only Monk healing ability I know of so far is Union and that a "catch your breath" style HoT, and it doesnt even say if it requires a certain level of Chakra or even the cool down.

Until we atleast see the class video for the Monk its hard to compare the two right now.

This post was edited by Gintoki88 at March 15, 2021 11:01 PM PDT
    • 315 posts
    March 15, 2021 11:02 PM PDT
    I agree it's hard to compare I was just disappointed that another class has a DPS heal
    • 673 posts
    March 16, 2021 4:43 AM PDT

It's no longer listed with the revamped website, but the Cleric use to list an ability (can't remember if it was activated buff or was just a passive) that gave you a heal effect on your Melee attacks. Although it's not tied to a specific attack ability but rather your normal auto's.

• 13 posts
    March 16, 2021 9:37 AM PDT

monk's resonating palm deals damage and heals for a percentage done. DL's dark revenge grants a healing mechanic to Thresh when the DL gets critically hit. I'm not seeing any similarities between these two. 

• 315 posts
    March 16, 2021 9:44 AM PDT
    The deal I have with the two is the monk getting healed with some damage done when VR said that the dire lord's ability to heal itself will help mitigate the fact that they're not using plate armor. So if the monk gets a percentage healed from damage that they do then essentially that's the same thing as how the dire lord's supposed to help tank. And did the chance for a crit hit from a tire lord is pretty low so the chance of getting healed is very low meaning that it will reduce the tank ability of the tire lord based on the VR said. And the monk can already off tank really well with skills they set up and then you give them this which allows them to heal probably better than the dire lord to me it's off-putting
    • 1713 posts
    March 16, 2021 11:33 AM PDT

How do you know the monk can off-tank very well?  I haven't seen anything that says or shows that.  They were once listed as "off-tank" with dire lord listed as "tank".  Now the monk isn't even listed as an off-tank anymore.

• 315 posts
    March 16, 2021 11:39 AM PDT
    They talked about it briefly and shown it briefly in the Tower of the reckless mage stream a couple years back. And they say that was one of its main functions was to off tank
    • 315 posts
    March 16, 2021 11:40 AM PDT
    They did say that they're going to show the monk next as for a class reveal So I guess we'll see more there.
    • 1104 posts
    March 16, 2021 3:45 PM PDT

In EQ, the monk had an ability called mend that healed 25% of their health and made them quite durable.  

I'm ok with the monk's self heal as long as it is on a similar cooldown which was like 5 or 6mins (so it could only be used once in a while).  The Dire Lord's self heal can be used every few seconds so I would definitely consider the self healing ability a DL iconic skill... like the Monk's iconic skill would be Feign Death.

This post was edited by Darch at March 16, 2021 3:47 PM PDT
    • 673 posts
    March 17, 2021 1:39 PM PDT

Raidil said: "... means that this is not a unique thing at all for the dire lord which is to me disappointing."

Your point is valid that this does mean that this type of 'heal by doing damage' is not unique.

Radil said: "VR said that the dire lord's ability to heal itself will help mitigate the fact that they're not using plate armor. So if the monk gets a percentage healed from damage that they do then essentially that's the same thing as how the dire lord's supposed to help tank."

You seem to be answering your own question here. The Dire Lord has these self heal abilities (multiple ones) specifically so that he can sucessfully tank while using Heavy Chain rather than Plate like the other Tanks. Yet Monks use Light Leather (which is actually 2 steps down from Heavy Chain since there is also a Heavy Leather) which suggests to me that if the Monk is going to be doing any type of Off-Tanking, he is also going to need self heals in order to do so with any level of success.

Raidil said: "If the monk is high DPS class means they're going to heal three times more as well which is also disappointing considering we're supposed to be a tank meaning they might be able to out tank us."

Let's take a look at the Tooltips for the abilities in question:

Resonating Palm
    A powerful blow that deals physical damage and heals you for a percentage of the damage dealt.

Dark Revenge
    After being critically hit, your next Thresh will heal you for a percentage of the direct damage it deals.

We know from the Dire Lord stream back in September of 2020 that Thresh does: 200% Weapon Damage + 20% of that damage over 10 seconds.

We do NOT know what the Monk's Reasonating Palm ability will do for damage.

We also do NOT know what percentage of the damage that either Resonating Palm or Thresh(Dark Revenged) will heal. Therefore there is no way we can know that the Monk will heal for "three times more" than the Dire Lord.

Plus... as a designated Tank Role, the Dire Lord will have many other Passive and Active abilities that will give him many advantages over the Monk when it comes to actually Tanking. Just because the Monk may have some survival Abilities to let him off-tank in a pinch does not mean he will be able to 'out tank' the Dire Lord. And you can be sure that the Dev's will balance all of the abilities on both characters to make sure of this.