Forums » News and Announcements

January Dev Roundtable with CEO Chris Rowan

• 9115 posts
    February 5, 2021 3:19 PM PST

Ben "Kilsin" Walters sits down with CEO Chris "Kuripan" Rowan to talk all things Pantheon and Visionary Realms for this month's Dev Round Table (DRT)

2021 Outlook for Pantheon and Visionary Realms

https://youtu.be/kOuDy-u7x9g

• 2038 posts
    February 6, 2021 12:02 PM PST

Thanks Ben. It was really nice to hear an interview from the business side of VR. Particularly one that focuses more on the 'big picture'. Very informative.

Good Job

• 1281 posts
    February 6, 2021 6:35 PM PST

Regarding the lighting thing while climbing - maybe consider just a 'light source' slot that you equip torches, light stones, fire beetle eyes whatever that just stay illuminated.

While I normally am in favor of "realistic" design choices (whatever that means in a fantasy game) - I don't know if I would completely buy into the idea of holding a torch in combat. Let's be real - during a raid do you think players will be happy holding a torch that does 2 damage - or are you going to have to design torches that do high DPS /smirk - EQ had this where some items in general inventory provided light source and people seemed fine with it back then.

Would also be a bit of an adventure to find better light sources along the ways as adventurers. Maybe you start the game with no light sources but it could be one of the first things you buy or craft as a newbie before exploring out into the dark. Being able to explore into the darkness would almost be like the first dungeon of sorts.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at February 6, 2021 6:40 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    February 6, 2021 9:40 PM PST

Good interview, it was an enjoyable Round Table.

It's motivating to hear that even Rowan talks about the importance of community in the development phase of the game and it's value in the years after launch. That's very comforting to hear.

This post was edited by Barin999 at February 6, 2021 9:41 PM PST
    • 470 posts
    February 7, 2021 3:12 AM PST

Glad to hear the alpha talk. Nice to know it's a hopeful goal for this year (Note: We know goal doesn't mean promise) and they're treating it as a testing phase. It hasn't been treated like that (or really actually been that) for a very long time. Alpha has over the last decade or so been more of a marketing tool. It's like Early Access in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, that often nukes your first impression. And many games never recover from that nuking. It makes me happy that Chris seems to understands that.

This post was edited by Kratuk at February 7, 2021 3:14 AM PST
    • 115 posts
    February 7, 2021 5:35 AM PST

There was a few things that where good to hear. But over all the interview sounded like a politian caught in a scandel. In house interviews should be more polished less side stepping that i think will hurt in the over all Public. I have started getting feed back from friends that have not backed expressing this it came off shady with what has happened with  other projects. 

• 2038 posts
    February 7, 2021 9:45 AM PST

Vixx said: In house interviews should be more polished less side stepping that i think will hurt in the over all Public.

If that interview was being sent out to media as part of PR, I'd agree with you. But the Dev Roundtables are much more intended for those who are already pledged to the game, namely fans. Originally only available to VIP pledgers.

When VR is primarily speaking to us supporters and not the world, I think most of us would prefer honest reality and not 'polishing'.

• 902 posts
    February 8, 2021 5:45 AM PST

Vixx: In house interviews should be more polished less side stepping that i think will hurt in the over all Public

In what way, "more polished"? I though it was one of the more successful streams and answered a lot. It was clear and organised. I thought Nephele communicated very clearly and logically. There was a lot of new information in the stream. There are areas yet to be decided, but it is not side-stepping to say that. If it hasnt been decided yet, what else is Nephele going to say? I dont think it will be months before we start getting answers to the tbd questions and to me crafting is actually further on than I expected.

As Jothany said above, this stream is directed at those already signed up and not a direct PR stream.

It makes sense that you get the engine in place that will do the work, first. As long as it is flexible enough to apply any rules you like on top of that, then making final decisions should be done post engine phase. You can then spend time seeing whats best for the game with minimum work. Yes we all would like to know the full system that is going to be implemented, but it did not sound like "a politian caught in a scandel" in the slightest. To me it was open, direct and there was a large amount of information in there. No, it was not fully fleshed out yet. No, the crafting/ingredients engine was not complete, but there were answers and beans for those that listened with an open mind. 

This post was edited by chenzeme at February 8, 2021 8:45 AM PST
    • 115 posts
    February 8, 2021 7:09 AM PST

@Chenzeme I think Nephele crafting stream was well done.  This  the the Chris Rowan CEO interview I was just giving feed back coming from out side it was put on Youtube for the world to see. We as the puplic do tend to hold the CEOs to a higher standard than say Kilsin or Joppa. I just thought it would be nice to get that feed back to them, it just worked out it was up and got  put up in are sunday morning  discord and coffee chat. 

This group is a of long time DnD/MMO players Not full on gamers that started playing in eq to early eq2/wow  most have stopped playing anything because of what RMT Cash shops and  speed running to get your points or 1/1000 Drop has done to MMOs. 

This post was edited by Vixx at February 8, 2021 7:19 AM PST
    • 83 posts
    February 8, 2021 7:53 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

Regarding the lighting thing while climbing - maybe consider just a 'light source' slot that you equip torches, light stones, fire beetle eyes whatever that just stay illuminated.

While I normally am in favor of "realistic" design choices (whatever that means in a fantasy game) - I don't know if I would completely buy into the idea of holding a torch in combat. Let's be real - during a raid do you think players will be happy holding a torch that does 2 damage - or are you going to have to design torches that do high DPS /smirk - EQ had this where some items in general inventory provided light source and people seemed fine with it back then.

Would also be a bit of an adventure to find better light sources along the ways as adventurers. Maybe you start the game with no light sources but it could be one of the first things you buy or craft as a newbie before exploring out into the dark. Being able to explore into the darkness would almost be like the first dungeon of sorts.

Generally I think that flaming weapons may be the light-source of choice for many places, and some casters get handless light sources via spells (the Druid is revealed to have a Summon Firefly spell to illuminate their path)

• 902 posts
    February 8, 2021 8:46 AM PST

Vixx said:

@Chenzeme I think Nephele crafting stream was well done.  This  the the Chris Rowan CEO interview I was just giving feed back coming from out side it was put on Youtube for the world to see. We as the puplic do tend to hold the CEOs to a higher standard than say Kilsin or Joppa. I just thought it would be nice to get that feed back to them, it just worked out it was up and got  put up in are sunday morning  discord and coffee chat. 

This group is a of long time DnD/MMO players Not full on gamers that started playing in eq to early eq2/wow  most have stopped playing anything because of what RMT Cash shops and  speed running to get your points or 1/1000 Drop has done to MMOs. 

My bad, lol.. I thougt I was on the other thread.

• 1281 posts
    February 8, 2021 3:33 PM PST

Darchias said:

Generally I think that flaming weapons may be the light-source of choice for many places, and some casters get handless light sources via spells (the Druid is revealed to have a Summon Firefly spell to illuminate their path)

Oh absolutely, for high level players I don't think it will be a problem. I'm really just looking out for ways to do this at the newbie level.

• 441 posts
    February 9, 2021 7:39 AM PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiH1ilfLuTA&feature=emb_title

Baz's breakdown and shorter =-)

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at February 9, 2021 7:39 AM PST