Forums » The Monk

Feb 4th Dev Update Stream - Melee Combat Positioning

• 13 posts
    February 5, 2021 9:12 AM PST

Joppa mentioned in the stream "Melee combat now respects positioning or at least another layer of positioning. Defenders can no longer shield block, dodge or parry when being attacked from behind, except for Monks. Monks are the exception for that."

I feel this is a huge advantage for us, brothers and sisters! Not having to turn from our focus to deal with an errant add pummeling or sweeping will be quite useful. Will also play into the kiting and pulling of mobs. And even if not, it's still nice to hear a bit of news for our favored class ;)

• 1394 posts
    February 5, 2021 3:08 PM PST

I agree it's nice to hear something about Monks.

I notice that Joppa is referring to responses to an attack. Which likely means that we can't launch an attack against someone behind us, only react more quickly than other classes. Not that I expected to, I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

• 684 posts
    February 5, 2021 7:00 PM PST

This will help make Monks a better puller too since when you are running back to your group with a mob on your heels, you can dodge, parry or block their attacks coming at your back.

• 1122 posts
    February 9, 2021 2:43 PM PST

I agree that this is nice for Monks, but I don't get why the tanks can't parry or dodge (or block even really).  Are monks going to be anatomicly different?  Can the other tanks not lift their arms above their shoulder (bringing their shield or weapon behind their back) or trun their head to see someone behind them to dodge?  Or do monks wear a shield permanently on their back?  As a martial artist, I can't block behind my back... certainly not going to block a sword with my forearm as I'm running away (pulling...)

I can kinda get why the non-tanks wouldn't likely have the block/parry skill... and maybe not have the situational awareness to be mindful of attackers from behind them to dodge, but a "warrior" absolutely should be able to fend off attacks from every angle if a monk can... ESPECIALLY being a master of combat arms and armor (i.e. moving your pauldron to intentionally deflect an attack angled for your neck... why else wear armor if not to block or deflect an attack?).

Where's my thumb's down button :(

Add:  There should also be a difference between Shield Block, and Block (because the DL should be able to block with a blade while the other tanks maybe just have improved blocking with Shield Block... and maybe later allow the warrior to gain advantage of Shield Block without a shield (by utilizing their armor to block attacks). IMO

This post was edited by Darch at February 9, 2021 3:10 PM PST
    • 1901 posts
    February 9, 2021 3:24 PM PST

Darch said:

I agree that this is nice for Monks, but I don't get why the tanks can't parry or dodge (or block even really).  Are monks going to be anatomicly different?  Can the other tanks not lift their arms above their shoulder (bringing their shield or weapon behind their back) or trun their head to see someone behind them to dodge?  Or do monks wear a shield permanently on their back?  As a martial artist, I can't block behind my back... certainly not going to block a sword with my forearm as I'm running away (pulling...)

I can kinda get why the non-tanks wouldn't likely have the block/parry skill... and maybe not have the situational awareness to be mindful of attackers from behind them to dodge, but a "warrior" absolutely should be able to fend off attacks from every angle if a monk can... ESPECIALLY being a master of combat arms and armor (i.e. moving your pauldron to intentionally deflect an attack angled for your neck... why else wear armor if not to block or deflect an attack?).

Where's my thumb's down button :(

Add:  There should also be a difference between Shield Block, and Block (because the DL should be able to block with a blade while the other tanks maybe just have improved blocking with Shield Block... and maybe later allow the warrior to gain advantage of Shield Block without a shield (by utilizing their armor to block attacks). IMO

Perception it is. Beeing a fighter doesn't mean beeing aware of everything, beeing a monk is. It's part of the concept, would you like it, or not.

• 317 posts
    February 9, 2021 4:49 PM PST

Im running it as the cliche where monks can follow your movement without actually having to look at you.

Also defending with a weapon is usually put on the parry skill.

• 13 posts
    February 9, 2021 5:08 PM PST

The concept of the Monk as a fighter in fantasy games comes from the old "wire fu" films. Surely, the sword and board fighter is an impressive one at that; unmatched some would say. The monk, however, has always carried with it a sense of mysticism in their abilities. lighter than air falling, closed eye catching of an arrow or stone, remarkable dexterity while dodging or feigning from attacks while dealing subtle, yet devastating blows to their opponents. Even Feign Death stems from the monk's ability to slow their breathing and heart rate to appear in repose.

Game mechnically, allowing monks to maintain blocks and parrys from the rear over all other classes fits this mold the best.

• 130 posts
    February 18, 2021 2:07 PM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

This will help make Monks a better puller too since when you are running back to your group with a mob on your heels, you can dodge, parry or block their attacks coming at your back.

I think you've nailed the most important part of this announcement.