Forums » General Support

I purchased a pledge in 2016

This topic has been closed.
    • 1 posts
    January 10, 2021 7:33 PM PST

It has been a long time. I have never received a code or anything to access an early (or really late, depending how you look at it) version. Is this a mistake? 

• 1333 posts
    January 10, 2021 9:06 PM PST

This post will get moved to the 'Support' section as soon as the moderator sees it.

Unless your pledge included pre-alpha, everything is fine. The game is not yet to Alpha. What pledge did you get?

You can click on the "My Pledge" link at the top right of the page (when you are logged into the forums) and it will tell you the name of your pledge and what you payed for it.

• 91 posts
    January 10, 2021 9:54 PM PST

For context, Everquest 1 was developed in 2.5 years.

At this point in Everquest 1's timeline, we'd have 2 expansions by now and be waiting on Shadows of Luclin to release.

(All without pre-orders and pledges/crowdfunding, etc)

Pantheon barely looks playable after 5 years of development.

Not hating on the game, but something seems wrong.

• 1898 posts
    January 10, 2021 10:57 PM PST

Dulu said:

At this point in Everquest 1's timeline, we'd have 2 expansions by now and be waiting on Shadows of Luclin to release.

Verant was backed by sony back then, and games were insanely faster to complete with poorer graphisms than they are now.

Take a recent game : Cyberpunk 2077 took 7 years of development, and it's a solo one run game.

• 440 posts
    January 11, 2021 2:17 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Dulu said:

Verant was backed by sony back then, and games were insanely faster to complete with poorer graphisms than they are now.

Take a recent game : Cyberpunk 2077 took 7 years of development, and it's a solo one run game.

I would add: for context you are assuming that the number of developers employed with EQ1 is the same as the number employed by VR. I would be incredibly surprised if this was the case. To make a fair comparison, you need to compare man-hours not real-time interval periods.

The more resources you have (i.e. developers) the faster an application can (theoretically) be built in real time. If you have a team of say 25, it might just take 2.5 years to complete an MMO. A team of 10 will take substantially longer to create the same game.

Unfortunately, we do not have these numbers to make an accurate comparison.

I would also say that you are not comparing like for like in mmos either. Until we get to use PRotF, we have no way of telling how much more complex (or not) the general mechanics are compared to EQ1, or the size of the database, never mind the number of game assets involved as MauvaisOeil alludes to.

This post was edited by chenzeme at January 11, 2021 5:59 AM PST
    • 1247 posts
    January 11, 2021 4:55 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Dulu said:

PROTF's scope is much larger than EQ's though - good or bad. If they wanted to just build a game with some zones and characters to level up it could have been done years ago.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 11, 2021 4:56 PM PST
    • 176 posts
    January 12, 2021 1:42 PM PST

Moved this topic to support.

To answer your question, we are still in pre alpha testing and moving towards alpha testing. We will announce when alpha testing opens.