Forums » Harvesting

Materials from animals

• 16 posts
    November 21, 2020 5:16 PM PST

Ok so... I know I can be *coughs* a little long-winded sometimes. I will try to keep this brief. 

Question 1 - Should we be able to loot a dead animal that someone else has killed and left to rot?

I believe it should only be our kills that we can loot and harvest from. If anyone could, there would just be scavengers running around behind players trying to grab the remains. What about the possibility of allowing others to loot it only after our group has moved on, and there's a significant timer before the item unlocks? Say 10 minutes perhaps?  

Question 2 - Whether it was our kill or killed by another, what would we be able to loot from the animal?

There are the obvious items: pelts/skins and bones. We could add horns, antlers, tusks, tails, blood, muscles, tendons, or even entrails.

The tusks could be used as a component for spears or chairbacks! Pelts and skins are traditionally used to make leather or cloth armors. Maybe the innards from a buzzard are used as sewing string, who knows? If blood is an option, that would be a fantastic ingredient to use in poisons/potions. You could even boil it down for a few race-specific food dishes! 

Please add your opinion and anything you think would help the team at VR. I'm sure they're just as curious as I am!

~ Mayeia

She of the Crafted Heart <3

• 77 posts
    November 21, 2020 5:28 PM PST

I definitely think people should be able to harvest other people's kills, but you do bring up one good point. What does stop someone from sitting around another group's area and harvesting their kills immediately after they fall, before the crafter of the group can access them? Obviously PvP is an answer for some people, but that isn't an option in blue servers. The lockout shouldn't be that long however. Maybe one minute? Two? This is a question for... later in development I think, when community management becomes a more important part of the game design process.

As for what can be harvested, I think equipping specific tools to get different materials out of a node is a fun, versatile system. If a corpse is skinnable, maybe a skinning knife gets pelts, a butcher's knife gets meat, and an alchemists athame can grab guts or bones. The node can only be harvested once, so the harvester essentially 'picks' what they want out of the node.

This can be expanded to other sorts of nodes as well. A harvestable bush can be harvested by an alchemists shears for leaves and roots or a provisioner's shears for fruits, berries, and spices. A stone node can be split with a mining pick for ores, a jeweler's chisel for gems, or stoneworker's shovel for stone resources. It reduces the need to make seperate nodes for every crafting class, makes Blacksmiths more important for tool crafting, and making each node only usable a specific amount of times keeps people from just carrying every tool and using every part of the node (that can get... messy for resource management. Acceptable break in reality I think.)

• 16 posts
    November 21, 2020 5:39 PM PST

You had me nodding along up to the node-type only being able to be harvested from one time, by one crafting class. I'm not against the idea here. But I will say that it made me stop and think for a moment. It was always a point of contention in EQII that the miner would get stone 4 times in a row before getting the jewel stong he/she really was looking for. By using your point, the miner would get only the stone/rock that they wanted, assuming it's their turn to loot. The jeweler would only get the gem he/she was looking for. The only downside I see to this is that the entire group would have to take turns or allow memberA who really needs itemB to loot all of the animals for the appropriate items for that crafting class.

I as an Alchemist am in dire need of snake blood to make a potion for rogues to throw at a mob to mez them. The group as a whole agrees that every snake we kill, I get to loot them for the chance at another snake's blood. The same would go for the Tailor who really needs rib bones from the gnoll to make a gusset for a robe and such.

~ Mayeia

She of the Crafted Heart <3

• 16 posts
    November 21, 2020 5:56 PM PST

Alright, after reading more discussions about this is in Discord chat, I can safely agree that each type of crafting class in the group that killed the mob gets a chance to harvest the kill. So personA is a Tailor and they harvest the pelt and rib bones. The Weaponsmith harvests the thicker bones like arms and legs (safer than saying tibia, femur, etc). The Alchemist harvests the blood and the sinew (I am running out of what animal parts go where!).

The point being here that every crafting class in the group gets ONE chance to harvest from the mob. If there's 2 of any crafting class in the group, well one loses out. Too bad, so sad!  Once all of the crafters have had their harvests from the mob, it vanishes or rots away (Any loot drops I would think would happen before we go ripping the corpse apart!).

• 1559 posts
    November 21, 2020 9:21 PM PST
    It would likely be more well received if everyone in the group could perform whatever they wanted on the corpse once, either individually or as a group.

If they timed it as a group for concurrency, there could be a bonus, but otherwise, there's no reason to make it more punitive and punish players for their harvesting/crafting choices.
    This post was edited by vjek at November 21, 2020 9:22 PM PST
    • 486 posts
    November 24, 2020 12:10 AM PST

I don’t think any crafting classes should be harvesting, I’d much prefer harvesting classes than just generic harvesting skills for all.

• 2898 posts
    November 28, 2020 7:10 AM PST

I think the benefits of complexity are real but marginal here. I am entirely comfortable if VR takes the traditional approach requiring less programming effort and less strain on the servers. A corpse disappears after it is harvested - one person gets the opportunity. Anyone can harvest - there is no issue if I follow a group around to harvest their kills as long as I don't try to take them away from the group. Kill stealing can happen - kill stealing *does* happen. So I agree with Mayeia if there is no significant cost in terms of programming time and strain on the server. But I suspect there might be.

• 394 posts
    November 28, 2020 5:25 PM PST

Mayeia said: Question 2 - Whether it was our kill or killed by another, what would we be able to loot from the animal?
    I suppose a harvesting skilled character would be able to get (loot) more out of a kill then the standard loot table... ?