Forums » The Ranger

Withdraw, a leap backwards?

• 197 posts
    October 18, 2020 11:43 AM PDT

Is Withdraw a leap or a slide upon the surface?
    Does Withdraw theoretically allow for the crossing of gaps that otherwise would be uncrossable by forward facings hippity-hops?

Narrative

A gap lays before the group. A goal lays beyond.
    Ranger engages a MOB, with their back to the edge they active Withdraw, crossing the gap.
    There, Ranger finds a lever to pull, dropping a bridge for the others to cross, thus avoiding the long go-a-round that would take them through the valley of easily disgruntled chipmunks, to their inevitable demise.

This post was edited by StoneFish at October 18, 2020 11:44 AM PDT
    • 932 posts
    October 18, 2020 1:36 PM PDT

That sounds like 'emergent gameplay' to me. I hope we can do it.

Also, where is this 'Valley of Easily Disgruntled Chipmunks'? I want to go see it on release day :D

• 395 posts
    October 21, 2020 3:59 AM PDT

Below the Ledge of the Enforcer Chipmunks of the Hightcast which is next to the Shelf of the Lazy Fat Highcast Chipmunks, I believe. On Acorn Hill, north end of Chipvale.

This post was edited by chenzeme at October 22, 2020 7:44 AM PDT
    • 932 posts
    October 21, 2020 11:07 AM PDT

Of course it is.

LMAO!

• 197 posts
    October 21, 2020 2:20 PM PDT

Haha.  Now I truly want a chipmunk foe. 

• 932 posts
    October 21, 2020 11:21 PM PDT

• 559 posts
    October 22, 2020 7:04 AM PDT

Jothany said:

That sounds like 'emergent gameplay' to me. I hope we can do it.

Also, where is this 'Valley of Easily Disgruntled Chipmunks'? I want to go see it on release day :D

Hmmm...@Jothany I think that this would be an exploit not emergent behavior...unless VR intends for this to be a game mechanic. Just my 2cp.

This post was edited by Grymmlocke at October 22, 2020 7:05 AM PDT
    • 395 posts
    October 22, 2020 7:38 AM PDT

Grymmlocke: Hmmm...@Jothany I think that this would be an exploit not emergent behavior...unless VR intends for this to be a game mechanic. Just my 2cp.

VR have said that they don't mind unintended emergent gameplay and will only stop major exploits. Might not be considered exploitative because of being skillful in positioning during a fight, etc.

This post was edited by chenzeme at October 22, 2020 7:45 AM PDT
    • 932 posts
    October 22, 2020 7:52 AM PDT

Yes, Devs have commented more than once that they look forward to seeing players finding ways to play that even the Devs didn't expect at first. And I can't imagine them giving several classes an ability to leap - either forward or backwards - and not expecting players to use those abilities to leap over an obstacle. Or at least try to.

(and any Dev worth their salt, who sees something like this, is only going to say one of two things. Either "sorry, I though we had code to keep that from happening. Don't worry, we'll get it fixed right away", or "oh yeah, we planned it, glad you finally figured it out lol".

Emergent gameplay is my story and I'm sticking to it!

:)

This post was edited by Jothany at October 22, 2020 7:53 AM PDT
    • 584 posts
    October 25, 2020 2:00 PM PDT

I remember back in one of the streams that Bazgrim was playing a Ranger and they were fighting up on the battlements. He mentioned his paranoia that he might accidently launch himself over the edge of the wall and fall to his death when using that skill. But I don't know if anyone actually tested it to see if this actually happens or if it mearly leaps you back as far as you can go without actually tipping you over the edge. If it doesn't stop you at the edge, it might actually be possible to do as @Stonefish mentions and possibly launch you across a gap. Depending on any upward trajectory too you might also be able to pop up onto a raised edge or object too.

Maybe once we start seeing some Pre-Alpha 5 streams with Rangers somebody can test this stuff out.