Forums » Fan Creations

Avoiding the "Theme Park" Design

• 2886 posts
    October 12, 2020 2:21 PM PDT

In a genre where players have become so accustomed to being on a "theme park" ride or a conveyor belt and always being shown exactly where to go for their next quest, do you think Pantheon will be able to essentially change how players approach the world by encouraging them to explore on their own and carve out their personal path? Let me show you what the developers have said so far about this important topic: https://youtu.be/P_mf1DO7_M8

• 114 posts
    October 12, 2020 6:57 PM PDT

I believe, which is of course not fact, many mmo players are seeking something else that is not themed park.  If someone is looking forward to enjoying the ride then exploration, lore, events that become part of the game worlds history, if possible GM events or at least GM as Gods or Avatars would find their MMO craving satisfied.  Others who seek to hit content first, move on, and dominate harder challenges most likely wouldn't find 'theme park' quests or events interesting. Let alone attend them.  Time is best spent in the "current" best spot grinding the exp wheel and drops.  My time with EQ I would do both.  Grind for a number hours with friends/guildmates and once the brain numbing monotony took root, lol, I left and wandered about the world seeing the sights.  My last play time in EQ2 by level 20 I had full plate, a horse, a bow + arrows, lots of money, kept a quest item that allowed me to breath underwater .... That 'theme park' quest to quest being handed items I felt I did not deserve/earn for the trival quest lines I took part in. 

• 129 posts
    October 13, 2020 10:28 AM PDT

Exploration of a new world / new things is something marvelous everyone experienced as a kid.

Not having a map neither a minimap was something great in Everquest I.

Why ? Because it made players pay attention to the environment.

"Oh noes, I'm lost ! Where is the path ? Oh, wait, I've seen those trees and rocks earlier, I know approximatively where I am".

Those moments make the world feel immersive, real, wonderful, and scary too.

And learning the landscape of areas, acquiring that knowledge of the game, is a great feeling.

maps and mini-maps with a pointer at your location... while I understand these are convenient, they also forbid you those great feelings.

• 39 posts
    November 2, 2020 4:40 PM PST

bobwinner said:

Exploration of a new world / new things is something marvelous everyone experienced as a kid.

Not having a map neither a minimap was something great in Everquest I.

Why ? Because it made players pay attention to the environment.

"Oh noes, I'm lost ! Where is the path ? Oh, wait, I've seen those trees and rocks earlier, I know approximatively where I am".

Those moments make the world feel immersive, real, wonderful, and scary too.

And learning the landscape of areas, acquiring that knowledge of the game, is a great feeling.

maps and mini-maps with a pointer at your location... while I understand these are convenient, they also forbid you those great feelings.

I remember carrying an extra weapon on me to drop on the ground just to figure out which way North was. I had many good times wandering lost in the forest trying to find my way around.