Forums » The Monk

The Ultimate Monk

• 22 posts
    October 2, 2020 12:28 PM PDT

Hey guys, just want to talk about how VR really has a chance here to make the monk very appealing by really tapping into what the archetype is all about. As a huge monk fan (and an Archai monk main ;) ) I am super happy that the class made the cut for the base class roster as it deserves a spot to be there. The archetype, IMO, is one of the most underrated archetypes mainly due to people simplifying what a monk is and what they can do. It's the "karate" class. "Want to be Bruce Lee?" To me, these statements are oversimplifications of what the monk is which can actually turn people away from it. It's like saying Aquaman is "the guy who talks to fish" or Batman is just "a rich guy with gadgets". Yes, the monk does use martial art styles, but typically these styles are very loosely based on real life martial arts and have a big fantasy flavor attached to this. The monk uses a mystical energy force known sometimes as chakra/ki/chi (whatever you want to call it) that allows them to perform super human feats such as run at incredible speeds, jump amazing heights, punch and kick so hard  and precise that it can dent or even puncture metal armor or even bust through solid walls. That mystical energy force that they harness is really what makes them stand out. I am very confident that VR is going down the right path to make the monk fit that mold by what I have seen already for the class and I can't wait to dig deep into it on release! I can tell these guys are taking inspiration for the class from other popular RPGs and TTRPGs like DnD, Pathfinder, Final Fantasy, and of course Everquest. But what is everyone else's thoughts on this? Do you think VR has the right vision for what the monk is and will be?

• 259 posts
    October 2, 2020 5:01 PM PDT

I like what I've seen so far, and am more intrigued by the monk after the recent website revamp than I was before. I think the semi-mystical feel is cool, and the ability names really capture the monk essence in my opinion.