Forums » The Shaman

Ring mail vHeavy Leather

• 344 posts
    September 9, 2020 2:18 PM PDT

So Shaman are to have heavy leather armor down from ring mail.  Clerics are now light plate and Druids have light leather.  I kind of liked the ring mail.  I guess I saw it as more battle worthy, which I have always thought the Shaman should be.  What does everybody think?

• 39 posts
    September 11, 2020 1:07 PM PDT
    I always enjoyed the chain/ring mail look on the shamans and thoroughly loved the extra AC boost it gave you. Weren't so squishy when over-agroing due to feeling out a new tank. I've yet to see any pictures of how the leather looks on a Patheon Shaman.

The days of tanking in Plane of Earth or the Bone Wall are over I suppose. Looking forward to see new dungeon dive streams.
    • 2260 posts
    September 11, 2020 10:21 PM PDT

Lets hope that heavy leather has a better look than chainmail.  We were never destined to be able to tank anything, so I'm not too concerned about the change from chain to leather.  Heck, heavy leather might be as good AC wise as chain for all we know.

• 4 posts
    October 7, 2020 7:15 PM PDT

Shamans should get a nose bone, a loin cloth and ritualistic scarring.

• 238 posts
    November 15, 2020 1:29 PM PST
    Heavy leather could possibly be as much AC or close enough to mail armor so I’m not worried about that. A lot of a classes AC comes from a shield they have. However, they removed shields off the armor type for shaman and that does worry me.
    • 1120 posts
    November 29, 2020 3:08 AM PST
    Theoretically, the true defensive properties of armor will be given from proficiencies and skills that make the raw armor value multiplicative... so even a cleric in light plate won’t have even close to the mitigation of a Dire Lord in chain at comparable levels.
    With that said, I hate the look of chain in most games and it was a deal breaker for me with both DL and SHM... I am now interested in SHM as long as the leather armor doesn’t change appearance based on class (like a light leather cap on a Rogue makes them look like a ninja, but on a Druid it makes them look like a peacock... I can’t stand that Haha).
    As others have mentioned, Shaman aren’t supposed to be tanking damage, VR wants people to rely on Tank classes to fill that role, or go without a tank - so I’m afraid the gameplay of SHM tanking (of relevant content) is not going to be a feature of PRotF, although the reliance on their slow will still be huge and their ability to heal, buff and res will be great!