Forums » The Necromancer

Necro being a CC class, how do you feel?

• 1107 posts
    June 22, 2021 6:15 AM PDT

I was thinking a cool CC and quasi-charm mechanic would be a type of "possesion".  The Necro would go into a comatose state (Feigned Death equivalence) while their spirit left their body and attempted to take control of an NPC.  A draw back could be that their body stayed right where it fell lifeless and possibly have a resource drain or chance to break the further the possesed body went from the player's body.  This would differ from the ENC in that the ENC can still control their character while commanding a pet and the NEC would actually "become" the NPC but lose access to their character.

• 1333 posts
    June 22, 2021 2:39 PM PDT

Darch said:

I was thinking a cool CC and quasi-charm mechanic would be a type of "possesion".  The Necro would go into a comatose state (Feigned Death equivalence) while their spirit left their body and attempted to take control of an NPC.  A draw back could be that their body stayed right where it fell lifeless and possibly have a resource drain or chance to break the further the possesed body went from the player's body.  This would differ from the ENC in that the ENC can still control their character while commanding a pet and the NEC would actually "become" the NPC but lose access to their character.

That has a lot of possibilities. The Necro could be the ultimate single-mob CC'er, but leaves his body defenseless while doing so. At least a few dungeons could be designed so that a particular boss could only be defeated by a group when a Necro takes control of the Boss's chief-underling and keeps it out of the fight, or even uses it to attack or debuff the Boss.

• 143 posts
    June 23, 2021 11:19 AM PDT

I think the Necro maybe like the enchanter but only with a necro theme behind it. I saw someone said it would be cool if the necro could leave their body and take over the body of the mob and play as it. That could be very interesting.

I mean they could literally do anything to make it their version of a necromancer... but I am hoping for enchanter style with a few tricks up their sleeves but with a necro theme.

• 85 posts
    June 25, 2021 12:08 AM PDT

I really like the concept of a necromancer acting as some kind of CC. After watching that stream about enemy mechanics and the programming of their situational behaviour, I also think that more CC-Classes are required. When Bard and Necro are not part of release, i can imagine that the Enchanter might be the most required class ... And I think its better to have multiple classes for each of the four roles of the quaternity.

• 143 posts
    June 28, 2021 12:22 PM PDT

Jothany said:

That has a lot of possibilities. The Necro could be the ultimate single-mob CC'er, but leaves his body defenseless while doing so. At least a few dungeons could be designed so that a particular boss could only be defeated by a group when a Necro takes control of the Boss's chief-underling and keeps it out of the fight, or even uses it to attack or debuff the Boss.

I like this idea but I hope you do not mean like dark age of Camelot I did not like that necromancer but I am all for taking a mob over and using its spells as my own or have it do my bidding.

This post was edited by Nytman at June 28, 2021 12:23 PM PDT
    • 1333 posts
    June 28, 2021 11:33 PM PDT

Nytman said: I like this idea but I hope you do not mean like dark age of Camelot I did not like that necromancer but I am all for taking a mob over and using its spells as my own or have it do my bidding.

Well you're in luck! I have never played DAoC and have NO idea what a Necro was like in it :)

I think taking over one char. completely is a cool idea. But on the face of it, it seems kind of uber. So as a balance, it should leave his body paralyzed and defenseless, and shift the Necro's field of view TO the mob he took over - making it harder to keep track of his own body. He should also not have any of his Necro abilities to use while 'inside' the mob, only the mob's abilities.

• 143 posts
    June 29, 2021 7:47 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Nytman said: I like this idea but I hope you do not mean like dark age of Camelot I did not like that necromancer but I am all for taking a mob over and using its spells as my own or have it do my bidding.

Well you're in luck! I have never played DAoC and have NO idea what a Necro was like in it :)

I think taking over one char. completely is a cool idea. But on the face of it, it seems kind of uber. So as a balance, it should leave his body paralyzed and defenseless, and shift the Necro's field of view TO the mob he took over - making it harder to keep track of his own body. He should also not have any of his Necro abilities to use while 'inside' the mob, only the mob's abilities.

I think it is an interesting idea... I just don't know if in taking over a body of something else that I do not get to play the necro class. I would like to see it as a cc/damage/pet class. I am very interested to see what VR comes up with. When Joppa was talking about the necro class would fill a CC roll I was very intrigued, to say the least. This is why I say about the class being a little like the enchanter but keeping a dark theme of the necro.

Not sure if you played the necro in Everquest or not but the time the necro turned into a mana battery for the healer I kind of fell out of love with the class. I think Joppa said in an interview something about the necro being a more of a selfish class somehow. I could not find the interview where he said that and I do not mean to miss quote him so take that loosely. 

I just have this really cool version of the necromancer in my head. I would love to cast a spell called bone gate and a gate of bones that encircles a mob to keep it out of the fight or a spell called legions of bones where 3 little skeletons pop up from the ground that keeps a mob off the healer or slows the mob down somehow till we can get the advantage of a fight. I love the idea of walking around with my skeleton pets where I feel like I become the army of the undead while using disease and poison spells to weaken my enemies. where the enchanter can buff the group I would like the necro to severely debuff and cripple the mobs for the group and that is where I see the biggest difference between the enchanter and the necromancer.

All things are possible through necromancy =)

This post was edited by Nytman at June 29, 2021 7:50 PM PDT
    • 1333 posts
    June 29, 2021 10:30 PM PDT

Nytman said:

1. I think it is an interesting idea... I just don't know if in taking over a body of something else that I do not get to play the necro class.

2. Not sure if you played the necro in Everquest or not but

3. I think Joppa said in an interview something about the necro being a more of a selfish class somehow.

4. All things are possible through necromancy =)

1. I wouldn't want the Necro to ONLY be able to 'posess' a mob, that would limit it dramatically in normal CC duties. He should be able to do many of the things you describe. Posession would be just one Epic sort of ability.

2. I spent my EQ years in Asheron's Call. Never played EQ.  **glances nervously over his shoulder**

3. You're absolutely correct. If I look I could find the quote.

4. Steal a slogan from DuPont corp: "Better Living Through Necromancy"

• 1107 posts
    July 2, 2021 7:16 AM PDT

@Nytman,

I was thinking that possesion could be just one form of CC, but in particular a "Charm" equivalent to the ENC that allowed the ENC and NEC to be "separate but equal" in terms of the ENC not being the only class that can "charm".  I would also expect the Bard to have a limited form of charming abilities as well, but that is for a different forum.

Bone cages, phantasms, grasping arms from the ground, blind/deafening, paralyzing fears... these can all be forms of CC, but I was referring specifically to a Charm but having less use/cases and not be quite as universal due to the fact that the player loses control of their avatar - They could have that lesser form of charm due to the ability to summon an undead pet (that would also be inferior to the summoner's pets of equal level... but still an alternative to charming).  Giving the NEC a lot of diversity/efficiency at the expsense strength/ease of mastery (compared to an ENC simply charming/mezn anything not immune, or a summoner simply summonig a strong pet but they pretty much rely on one or the other).

This was kinda the balancing case in EQ too, where a NEC could charm only undead of certain levels (with no easy way to keep it under control compared to the ENC with instant stuns and tash), and their skeletal pets were not nearly as strong as the mage pets; their mez was relatively weak too.  

This post was edited by Darch at July 2, 2021 7:20 AM PDT
    • 10 posts
    August 3, 2021 3:44 PM PDT
    H
    • 10 posts
    August 3, 2021 3:44 PM PDT
    H