Forums » The Summoner

Summon Wall questions

• 5 posts
    August 8, 2020 9:43 AM PDT
    Will Summon Wall break line of sight? Will it aggro mobs on the summoner, the wall itself, or not at all? Will all player characters be able to walk through it freely?

Depending on the answers to these questions, the practical applications of this spell are pretty awesome. You could use it to LoS pull casters, throw up a wall next to mobs you want to skip or even split groups of mobs to pull fewer at a time. I assume players will be able to walk through walls because the griefing potential would be way too high, especially in narrow corridor dungeons.
    • 475 posts
    August 9, 2020 5:20 PM PDT
    I hope it utilizes climbing. A wall in the open world could just be climbed over if it is faster. a wall in a dungeon could hit the ceiling.

If LoS pulling works then this will be one of my main spells I imagine. Build a safe area with one kill zone entrance.

Remember there is an ability to break down walls, so some warrior NPCs or even players just wanting to ruin your day could just charge through it. I would hope people couldn't just run through it. That would make it a broken level of op for kiting.

My thought on the wall is will it have a use on raids. Will there be bolt spells it can block? Will there be it give you cover from an aoe?
    • 475 posts
    August 9, 2020 5:25 PM PDT
    I hate not having an edit button on the phone posts to fix brain farts... There be...
    • 4 posts
    August 31, 2020 11:56 AM PDT

This whole skill sounds too much fun. If they aren't super careful it will be broken as all get out. If players can interact with it and it has collision it's going to be a fun mess. Locking players in rooms. Climbing to places you shouldn't be able to get to. Training groups by making mobs run other directions.

• 23 posts
    January 28, 2021 9:06 AM PST

sounds like a whole lof of potential for both good and evil. should be fun to experiment with this spell.

• 1340 posts
    January 28, 2021 4:21 PM PST

I think it will have to aggro mobs on to the wall itself because we've been told that the wall will take X amount of damage from mobs before it is destroyed and they get through. And as you level the strength of the wall you summon will increase and thus require more damage to break. Mobs would not attack it if it had no agro, they would just butt up against it and keep trying to run thru like a door in a house.

I THINK Joppa said in a stream or roundtable not too long ago that the wall would break LoS, but I could be halluci-remembering so maybe someone else can confirm that.

I believe that if the wall was a barrier to players, it would be entirely too useful for griefing to have on PvE servers, so I don't expect it. But I don't remember VR ever saying one way or the other.

I never thought about climbing a summoned wall, I'm gonna have to look into that just as soon as I get in game and meet an Enchanter. Sweet!

I think the wall will be really useful in dungeons where it could be put up to block an entire passageway full of adds. Outdoors, less so.

• 85 posts
    January 29, 2021 2:12 AM PST

I can see a horde of magicians, summoning a square of walls, putting a summoned ladders on it, to climb up ... and summon a square of walls on top of the first square. This way, they summon a tower of summoned walls and summoned ladders up to the sky. 

And all of this is done next to the tower of the reckless magician.

Dont build that tower too high, or we will loose the common tongue.

• 676 posts
    January 29, 2021 7:47 AM PST

@Jothany From what we were told, if the Wall does not block off the entire hallway, enemies will just choose to walk around it to reach you. If it blocks off all paths to you, and there is no way to walk around it then the enemy will automatically start attacking the wall in order to break through to get to you (or whoever had agro).

• 30 posts
    March 28, 2021 6:35 AM PDT

I'm honestly not sure how this ability will be able to be implemented and not abused in some way.  If they pull it off somehow, I'll be impressed, but I'm not holding my breath for this ability staying in the game.