Forums » The Ranger

Races...

• 7 posts
    August 4, 2020 11:23 AM PDT

I know most don't think this but...     I think dwarfs should be able to rangers as well.  they  do scout alot while mining or when running a sale caravan. 

In my opinion there should be 3 classes that all races can be.    Rangers, warriors, clerics  and yes i do mean ogre clerics aswell.  

Yeah most won't agree with me but i'm intrested in yall's opinions.

• 599 posts
    August 4, 2020 11:32 AM PDT

Joppa has said that they are considering some changes to the race/class matrix, specifically, allowing Archai to be summoners. No promises were made, but they are considering some changes. Only time will tell.

I'm fine with the matrix as is, but whatever they decide is fine with me.

This post was edited by Grymmlocke at August 4, 2020 11:33 AM PDT
    • 17 posts
    March 9, 2021 12:55 AM PST
    I originally wanted to be a Dwarf Enchanter but after seeing Joppa's bitchin' armor, now I want to play something with chain or better armor. Ranger would be great if any other race options were available. Elf Rangers are cliche, who wants to be a Human in a fantasy game, and what good is cool armor if you're too small for people to see it? If Skar, Dark Myr, Archai, or Dwarf Rangers are available I'm in. The way I see it, if a race can be a Druid and a Warrior, you should be able to be a Ranger. Same with Necro+Warrior you should be able to be a Direlord, or Cleric+Warrior =Paladin
    • 1057 posts
    March 10, 2021 1:23 PM PST

@edictzero - Armor appearance contributes to my class selection too.
    I think any race that can wield weapons and communicate should be able to be a ranger... I strongly disagree with the current race/class matrix for many of the options.  What does it take to be a ranger - appreciation for animals and ability to use ranged and melee weapons?  Only 3 races like animals?  Do Evlen warriors automatically get all of the Ranger abilities too since Elves obviously have a greater affinity for animals than most other races and can also use all of the weapons?  The race/class matrix is a real sore spot for me.

@Zergjerk - I absolutely agree that every race (with a special case for Gnomes) should be able to be Ranger, and Warrior as well as every other melee class with the exception of Paladin and Bard.  Regarding the Gnome special case, I don't think they should be allowed to be Rogues either (either allow them to be melee, or not...).  There are very few races that should have class restrictions in my opinion, and my restrictions would basically be gnomes restricted from STR & WIS classes, Ogres restricted from DEX & INT based classes and the Skar restricted from the CHA based classes and Cleric.  But for those restrictions, give those races clear benefits for the other classes that they are limited to; like Ogres being dominant STR characters, Gnomes being dominant INT characters and the Skar being dominant DEX based characters compared to the races that don't have restrictions.
    My $.02

• 15 posts
    April 6, 2021 11:15 PM PDT

Traditionally dwarves aren't rangers, because they tend to be cave dwellers for the most part.  Depending on the lore given for Dwarves, the argument could be made to make a forest or planes clan of dwarves to give them a viable reason to allow them to be rangers.  That's my humble opinion anyway.

• 232 posts
    April 16, 2021 6:03 PM PDT

Dwarves are too short to see over the bushes and shoot straight. They clomp around breaking sticks and leaves and scare away the game. Dwarves smell foul and if game is downwind then the hunt is over. But I guess you could have dwarves as rangers, I like to laugh. 

This post was edited by StoneFish at April 16, 2021 6:04 PM PDT
    • 1057 posts
    April 20, 2021 6:15 AM PDT

@dragonpriest - Who better than a Dwarven Ranger to guide others through the perils of Terminus caverns deep beneath the mountains - a Halfling Ranger?  :)

@Stonefish - Dwarves may be short, but I believe they are taller than halflings on Terminus (and at least have the strength to weild a greatsword)!  :)