Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Armor Types Common / Perfect

• 70 posts
    July 30, 2020 6:38 AM PDT

This is just an idea. I do not know if Panteon even will have such a division in armor quality, or this idea is much too late, but still I like to present this idea.

Often games and armorer is capable of making various types of the same armor and these better types becomes aviable as he or she levels. 
    For example Armor, Exceptional Armor, Perfected Armor.
    Lets say this is an armor a warrior would wear at lvl 10. Usually in a game the armor types have different Armor Class, like common armor is AC 10 and the Perfected Armor is AC 14. Thus when buying armor nobody even looks at he Common armor and a few look at the exceptional Armor and almost everybody wants the Perfected armor. The common armor is made by armorers of low level, an the Perfected by the armorers of top level. But it does not have to be like this. You can choose to have no difference in the armors stats but show the difference in details. Have the common armor be a boring look, the exceptional has much more details and ornaments and/or colors and the perfected show as something only a king would wear. An exceptional or perfected armor has the same stats as a normal but is more costly to make and buy.
    This gives new armorers much more room to sell their armor as their quality of armor only suffers on looks and not on how well it works in battle.

• 134 posts
    August 2, 2020 1:38 PM PDT

I forget exactly how it works but I know in FFXIV there was something like this with the crafting system. You could craft items of a superior quality with a little bit more effort. Correct me because I'm wrong lol

• 5 posts
    August 3, 2020 9:18 AM PDT

There was a space game called Earth and Beyond that was my all time favorite.  The crafting in it had a mechanic that you had a chance when you crafted to get an execptional result that would increase the quality of the item by up to 200%, but it was rare untill had crafted a LOT of the same item.  Each time you crafted that item and got the critical success it would increase the likelyhood of a critical success by a small amount, it was a hidden stat so noone knew how long it would take...but it was a long time.  Even at the max critical success chance it was still not sure thing.  Something like that would be nice for crafters.

V/R

• 1785 posts
    August 3, 2020 12:35 PM PDT

Historically, quality systems such as E&B, EQ2, and FFXIV have one big problem.  Over time, the only items that people are willing to purchase are the high-quality ones.

While it's cool to be able to make a more powerful version of something based on a critical success or more skill or better materials, it's terrible for economic viability in the long run.

• 134 posts
    August 13, 2020 8:42 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Historically, quality systems such as E&B, EQ2, and FFXIV have one big problem.  Over time, the only items that people are willing to purchase are the high-quality ones.

While it's cool to be able to make a more powerful version of something based on a critical success or more skill or better materials, it's terrible for economic viability in the long run.

hmm, interesting. I didn't play/craft enough in FFXIV to see this happening but I am not doubting you. I hadn't thought of that. If its a low % of happening though it should be able to even that out, no? Just because you WANT it doesn't mean a crafter can make it RIGHT NOW. I guess you just sit around and wait for one to come up.

Honestly I don't like the types of people who can only enjoy the game if they have the best of everything and pushing out the most damage/heals/whatever possible. 

• 1785 posts
    August 13, 2020 9:22 AM PDT

Yeah - I think, sadly, "HQ" systems are a victim of players' tendency to want to optimize everything and boil everything down to numbers.  People will invest tons of time farming cash to buy the high-quality version even though it might only be a small improvement over the normal one.

What *does* work - and what might be worth exploring for Pantheon - is to have that "special" version of the item be different but equivalent to the original version of the item.  FFXI did this in a few places (not all) and what it meant in practice was that the normal version of the item still had demand, but that the HQ version of the item also had demand.  If there's going to be a quality system, that's probably the way it should work, but it's very tricky to pull off in terms of itemization.

• 134 posts
    August 15, 2020 9:42 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Yeah - I think, sadly, "HQ" systems are a victim of players' tendency to want to optimize everything and boil everything down to numbers.  People will invest tons of time farming cash to buy the high-quality version even though it might only be a small improvement over the normal one.

What *does* work - and what might be worth exploring for Pantheon - is to have that "special" version of the item be different but equivalent to the original version of the item.  FFXI did this in a few places (not all) and what it meant in practice was that the normal version of the item still had demand, but that the HQ version of the item also had demand.  If there's going to be a quality system, that's probably the way it should work, but it's very tricky to pull off in terms of itemization.

so essnetially transmog. Just make the item look different but have the same stats.

• 1785 posts
    August 16, 2020 10:52 AM PDT

Other way around.  Same look, different stats.  This is something that is possible if we think about multiple stats mattering to adventurers - where optimizing stats isn't just always about increasing the same 2 or 3 numbers.

• 3237 posts
    August 16, 2020 11:28 AM PDT

It's worth noting that there were quite a few items in FFXI that had both positive and negative stats, and this extended to the HQ versions.  Here is an example:

Sniper's Ring:                    -20 shadow resist, +5 accuracy, +5 ranged accuracy, -10 defense

Sniper's Ring +1 (HQ):       -25 shadow resist, +7 accuracy, +7 ranged accuracy, -12 defense

The main reason that the HQ system worked in FFXI was grounded in the reality of supply/demand.  The vast majority of players didn't have the luxury of only wanting the best version.  The vast majority of players would have been thrilled to get their hands on the "normal" version because "normal" in that game could still qualify as incredibly rare/desirable.

• 902 posts
    August 17, 2020 6:59 AM PDT

I think common/exceptional/etc crafted items can be made to work without it causing the market to be flooded with the top end crafted items. It could include a number of elements to make it difficult to achieve, skill, chance, rare harvests, quest mechanics, expensive to produce in terms of coin and/or time, etc. etc. I favour a combination of all this so that a top crafted item is forced to be expensive on the market and the common versions by their very nature and relative ease to produce mean that the market wouldnt get saturated with the cream.