Forums » The Enchanter

Mesmerized Creature Animation

• 70 posts
    February 3, 2015 5:18 AM PST

It would be immersive to see the effect in their posture; think boxer that just got their bell wrung. Chin to the chest would be good, or hands on knees / bent at waste, or even laying on the ground in a fetal position.  Perhaps all three, and the animation reflects the strength/remaining time of the mez.  I just imagined head tilted back with mouth wide open and eyes shut, breathing rapidly.. that would be a riot. 

This post was edited by Jitai at February 4, 2015 8:14 AM PST
    • 70 posts
    February 4, 2015 8:23 AM PST

I had another thought of a mechanism that would cover a lot of bases.  Be aware, I'm reluctant to suggest anything that would make CC easier, I learned that lesson in the EQ beta, however I think this would be amazing. 

Picture an enchanter establishing a mez on a single creature.  Left hand comes up into a fixed position, a single thin bright silver monofilament strand extends from the left hand to the forehead of the NPC.  He casts again, only his right hand moving, and a second silver monofilament strand extends from the left hand and attaches to a second NPC forehead.  Strand1 on NPC1 starts to fade then it pops to silver dust that quickly disappears, indicating a break in the mez.

This post was edited by Jitai at February 4, 2015 11:05 AM PST
    • 157 posts
    August 21, 2017 7:49 PM PDT

When i think of the word mesmerize, I think of someone who ate too many shrooms and is just seeing stuff that isn't really there. Or is it? I'd like a visual representation, for sure. In EQ1 it was colored butterflies, EQ2 was a rainbow ring around the mobs head, in Vanguard it was an etheral appearance of a mob. but i'd also like animations of maybe the mob trying to pluck a flower from the ground, trying to catch a butterfly, or if its an animal, maybe have it licking its arse, or dragging its arse across the ground. you know, for the animators :) i kinda liked Vanguards ethereal appearance, its easy to see a mezzed mob like that, but i think it might actually be better to have it more low key, so folks can more easily break our mezzes and we can use our "you broke it, you tank it" macros. maybe just a faint glow coming off of the mobs head. Prismatic, of course.

P.S. Are those run on sentences? I feel like I used to many ands, buts, and commas.

This post was edited by Keiiek at August 21, 2017 7:52 PM PDT
    • 57 posts
    October 17, 2017 2:48 PM PDT

I believe a mob should be doing actions while mezzed that can confuse players such as meandering, sitting, emoting, randomly attacking whatever is around them (so as to prevent having too many mobs mezzed close together or tanking and making too many "combat sounds" close-by). The mobs obviously do not control their bodies, but that does not mean that they'll be standing there like an NPC without AI. Maybe the mobs can whisper hilarious things if you're really close.

I don't want to have more spells rotting on my spell bar, but there could be an incomplete mez where the target is prone to doing random things at times and a complete mez like what we know from EQ. Perhaps the low level mez can be incomplete in comparision to its upgrades, rather than just increasing the amount of time the mez lasts. It'll be nice going from a level 4 Enchanter that causes higher level mobs to act wild and dumb when mezzed vs a high level Enchanter which can make most mobs sound asleep.

Or Mez is just multi-dimensional pyrotechnic will-o-wisps that distract mobs. Maybe they lead them off cliffs...there's lot's of drops in this game!

• 695 posts
    October 19, 2017 3:39 PM PDT

I like when mezzed mobs are identified, with a floating ZZZzzzZ over their head...

• 1217 posts
    October 21, 2017 7:15 PM PDT

Im actually ok with the mob wandering around while mezzed, in a small area at least.  Creates a much higher skill needed to not break as well as keep the mobs mezzed.  I would however still like to see a higher level mezz spell (or sleep) where the mob is just standing still the entire time.  Maybe not something you can spam, but if you REALLY need that added level of CC its available.