Forums » The Shaman

Other Options for Spirit Companion

• 3 posts
    March 1, 2020 10:51 PM PST
    Howdy folks, new pledger and first time poster.

Shaman class description states:
    Every Shaman begins their journey with a Spirit Companion, usually in the form of a Spirit Wolf Cub or a Spirit Bear Cub.

USUALLY

While the bear or wolf might thematically fit with some race’s lore, their starting environments might not fit those two animals (don’t see many wolves or bears in swamps or deserts). Should these companion choices be racially tied? I think so. Similar to how WoW’s hunter class starts with a racially fitting animal companion, I think this would help a lot to make the race choice be even more distinct.

I don’t think it would take much extra programming effort to put into the game either, with other animal mobs presumably being abundant in the game. I would think they could give those models a ghostly transparency texture to make them a suitable spirit companion.

The options could be many, even using aquatic life that could hover above the ground, it it was fitting for the different races.

I think it would be important to keep all options between the races equal in terms of damage/tankiness, assuming that there’s a “dps” and a “tank” choice for each race. Only thing I would think would need to be different would be dmg type (slashing/piercing/crushing/etc) for each option.

Without knowing more about each race’s starting areas I can’t come up with any specific ideas but some options that might be cool:

Owl
    Giant Spider
    Bull
    Jaguar
    Vulture
    Crocodile
    Shark
    Turtle

Not to mention any fantastical beasts that might exist in each race’s homeland.

What do y’all think?
    • 53 posts
    March 1, 2020 11:05 PM PST

I think it would be a nice flavor, but I wouldn't want it to push release.. So even though i think it would make sence and be cool, I would prefare seeing it after release, maby with a note for the shamans what the plan is in character creation.. But as mentioned, I would like to see it implemented, and i agree it shoulnd't take to much to implement.. personally though I think they should be 100% the same in stats, just different skins, ofc unless we are talking that there is a dps and tank version like you surgest, but then those versions should, in my mind, be the same across races.

• 2189 posts
    March 2, 2020 7:15 AM PST

I'd rather have just 2 choices and the game be finished faster than having more choices and the game needing even more time to reach release.

• 655 posts
    March 2, 2020 7:32 AM PST

I think this is a great idea for the first expansion.   I really liked LOTRO's loremaster which had different pets/familiars each with specific traits  crow/cat/bear etc.

• 649 posts
    March 2, 2020 7:57 AM PST
    Hi Bam and welcome to the forum :)

I think 3 types would be cool

Bear
    Wolf
    Cat

I dno if each should do the same and just look differently or have small variation witch should be balanced ofc.
    • 1185 posts
    March 2, 2020 9:54 AM PST

This question came up in a stream. The Dev answer was that it "comes down to time & resources" and if they have time and resources, they will "most likely explore that".

So  yeah, keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for pledging, welcome to the zoo :)

Edited for more accurate info

This post was edited by Jothany at March 2, 2020 10:15 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    March 2, 2020 10:50 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I'd rather have just 2 choices and the game be finished faster than having more choices and the game needing even more time to reach release.

This^

• 1080 posts
    March 2, 2020 1:39 PM PST

Yep - I think VR is throwing away an easy homerun by restricting something as easy as pet skins.  The shaman, ranger, and the one that absolutely blows my mind as to the companion of choice is... the Druid!!!  Seriously?  A fox?  Ogers, Archai, Dark Myr... a fox?!  A white female fox... you can't even pick its color or gender but its with you always.

VR could easily have give the companions a different skin depending upon their race...
    -Dark Myr could have almost any kind of amphibian or reptile, frog, lizard, croc, snake, or ficticious Terminus creature
    (Nope, they apparently get an aquatic fox because of their preservation of nature... the Halfling ward just assumes they want to be bound to a fox... even if their race eats Halflings... or fox)
    But with that said, I think Dark Myr would've been a very cool ranger too - summoning snakes and crocs or even osprey and octopus.   Really missing out IMO. 

Trying to justify racial/class decisions on lore will drive you absolutely bonkers :)

This post was edited by Darch at March 2, 2020 1:55 PM PST
    • 1874 posts
    March 2, 2020 11:07 PM PST

Darch said:

Yep - I think VR is throwing away an easy homerun by restricting something as easy as pet skins.  The shaman, ranger, and the one that absolutely blows my mind as to the companion of choice is... the Druid!!!  Seriously?  A fox?  Ogers, Archai, Dark Myr... a fox?!  A white female fox... you can't even pick its color or gender but its with you always.

VR could easily have give the companions a different skin depending upon their race...
    -Dark Myr could have almost any kind of amphibian or reptile, frog, lizard, croc, snake, or ficticious Terminus creature
    (Nope, they apparently get an aquatic fox because of their preservation of nature... the Halfling ward just assumes they want to be bound to a fox... even if their race eats Halflings... or fox)
    But with that said, I think Dark Myr would've been a very cool ranger too - summoning snakes and crocs or even osprey and octopus.   Really missing out IMO. 

Trying to justify racial/class decisions on lore will drive you absolutely bonkers :)

We all know you don't care about lore, that's a known fact, now if you remove the coherence of an universe because people want custom things it will hurt the whole experience even if think you don't care about it.

• 1080 posts
    March 3, 2020 6:39 AM PST

No need to get rude @Muavais - I do care about lore, so your "known fact" is in fact a lie.  Its because I care about lore that I have my "opinion".

• 1874 posts
    March 3, 2020 11:20 PM PST

I don't think I was rude, I just noticed it's not the first time you're vehemently saying that lore isn't a reason, or lore is just a justification for choices. I do not agree over it and value the importance of lore over the building of a game, even if it means it doesn't play every of us. I don't know at which point you decided that you knew better what lore should be, it just doesn't make sense to me.

• 1080 posts
    March 4, 2020 7:02 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I don't think I was rude, I just noticed it's not the first time you're vehemently saying that lore isn't a reason, or lore is just a justification for choices. I do not agree over it and value the importance of lore over the building of a game, even if it means it doesn't play every of us. I don't know at which point you decided that you knew better what lore should be, it just doesn't make sense to me.

My simple reasoning is that nowhere in most of the lore does it explicitly say "Elves don't have enough faith or dedication to be clerics" or that the reason Archai can't be summoners is because they don't believe in slavery (nowhere in the summoner description does it mention slavery/enslavement).  People are making assumptions and basically accusations trying to justify decisions that were made BEFORE some of the lore was even developed.

Add:  I know you and I disagree on more than we agree on, but I think this comes down to perception - I never "decided that I knew lore better" than anyone, I just don't mistake other people's opinions as being equivalent to lore.

This post was edited by Darch at March 4, 2020 7:27 AM PST
    • 2189 posts
    March 4, 2020 8:37 AM PST

Darch said:

My simple reasoning is that nowhere in most of the lore does it explicitly say "Elves don't have enough faith or dedication to be clerics" or that the reason Archai can't be summoners is because they don't believe in slavery (nowhere in the summoner description does it mention slavery/enslavement).

One might infer that summoning a creature from another plane of existence is an act that the summoned creature has no means by which to refuse. It is forced into our world, bound to the summoner to do its bidding until it 'dies' and goes back (hopefully) to its original plane of existence.  The Archai could use that point of view in their opposition to their race being summoners. 

• 1080 posts
    March 4, 2020 1:56 PM PST

@Vandraad - I absolutely 100% get what you are saying, and you help prove my point to Mauv, which is that people "infer" or "assume" things based on opinion and not the actual lore.   But that is not a big leap to infer something like that, so I get it.  A lot of people have mentioned that (because that is how it works in D&D), but again, the summoner description simply says that they actually create things out of nothing.  They form the arcamentals from pure arcane energy (actually giving them life) and they aren't "enslaving" food, and ladders or walls.

This post was edited by Darch at March 4, 2020 2:04 PM PST
    • 2189 posts
    March 4, 2020 2:22 PM PST

I think VR are beyond using lore for any future decisions or even lore for revisiting old decisions.  Race/Class combinations are what they are for whatever (or even no) reason.  Wolf/bear pet for Shaman...same thing.  No real thought with respect to the Pantheon history or lore, but more just the 'instinctive' choice because of EQ1.  I really think that many decisions VR has made have just been an instinctive, no conscious thought effort because of the long history of EQ1.

• 1080 posts
    March 4, 2020 4:00 PM PST

Vandraad said:

I think VR are beyond using lore for any future decisions or even lore for revisiting old decisions.  Race/Class combinations are what they are for whatever (or even no) reason.  Wolf/bear pet for Shaman...same thing.  No real thought with respect to the Pantheon history or lore, but more just the 'instinctive' choice because of EQ1.  I really think that many decisions VR has made have just been an instinctive, no conscious thought effort because of the long history of EQ1.

I agree.

• 9 posts
    March 17, 2020 12:15 PM PDT

Future quests to add adnimals via Guild Master or something.  Different animals give you different abilities.  They'd have to think of something cool so that it wouldn't step on other classes' toes.

• 53 posts
    January 28, 2021 5:28 PM PST

a wolverine or a badger would be cool, even a otter perhaps honestly a kangaroo would be legit big ass boomer smacking **** around. i mean not to say any names but some MMOs if its in the world you could tame it if you played a certain class. i kinda like if its in the area thats what you'll summon, i mean some animals cant live in other climates, should it be that type of thing? my vote is for a Kangaroo!

• 1080 posts
    February 4, 2021 6:30 AM PST

Yep... reskining a pet is absolutely trivial, especially if using models that already exist.  Their choice to restrict companion options is to create restrictions/limitations.  Having an NPC use a different (already existing) model would take less than an hour of work.  If skinning pets were difficult or too time consuming, the Enchanter would hold up release for a considerable time.