Forums » The Bard

A lyrical bard

• 632 posts
    January 25, 2020 9:56 PM PST

This class is for the most part about music build on songconstructions based on lore. 

Some games show off some type of vocal animations when the bard is doing certain abilities. 

My question here would be?

Should a bard have a voice while casting? A shout of some sort with different shades?

Or as the bard uses certain abilities would they "sing" a standard sentence that explains or tells about what this song is about?

Many players make macro's where they use abbrivations to explain what the use is of the spell they are currently casting. Perhaps the game could do this by itself by putting some more flavourfull thought into the design of the bard?

Or would you prefer; just play the musical note and leave the text up to the player themself? 

I would go even further, as you create your character/bard at the start, you can choose your voice. And I want to hear that voice, as a bard. It would do much for me to feel connected to me playing my bard.

Lotro did that, to a degree I liked it. It just shouldn't become a screamfest.

• 248 posts
    January 25, 2020 11:17 PM PST

I just replied to your other post about musical instruments for the bard which was a great way to introduce uniqueness into the class.

On the topic of the bard having an actual voice though, this isn't something that I would like to see as I wouldn't want to hear other casters calling out their spells. It is something that could be extremely distracting depending on the environment.

I would, however, like to see the song explained in its melody when used. Tone context can go along way into explaining if a song is meant to be happy or sad without the use of words. As I stated in your other post I would also like to see song modifications in the codex reflected in their sound or even their tune. It makes sense realistically, that you would modify a song by changing a note or the tune that it is played in. I think that having these changes in sound animation allows the bard to tell their stories and sing their songs without them having to voice lyrics. 

• 383 posts
    January 31, 2020 12:15 PM PST

Just to add here..... I also agree that audio bards singing would get monotonous however finding/creating lyrics that you could perhaps augment into songs could produce greater effects/ additional effects. Just a thought. Id like to see the use of voice as well as an instrument as opposed to one or the other. Dang I cant wait to play =p

• 2 posts
    February 3, 2020 3:32 PM PST

Some form of way of hearing the distinguishing tone of bard's songs could be a lot of fun and importantly immersive, but maybe there should be a setting for others to disable it on their end (kind of like an ignore) to stop potential trolling.

• 632 posts
    February 8, 2020 1:05 PM PST

Baldur said:

On the topic of the bard having an actual voice though, this isn't something that I would like to see as I wouldn't want to hear other casters calling out their spells. It is something that could be extremely distracting depending on the environment.

I'd have to agree with you that it can become very distracting to hear many different voices when spells are cast.

How about a more "universal voice sound" that emulates the vibrations of a voice and the mood of the song? (mood of the song being the effect of the sound: uplifting (boost beneficial spells or ca's, healing, demoralizing/sad (debuffs, dots), aggressive (direct damage, dots)).

Now consider the scenario where : archai, dark myr, dwarf, elf, halfling and human can be bards.  This "universal voice sound" can sound fitting to an elf, but it may sound very odd coming from a stout dwarf. Hence my suggestion to allow some kind of vocal choice at character creation. Now the "universal voice sound" will still have the same ....vibration.. but the tone might be higher or lower pitched depending on the race. If you see what I mean?

Nothing too fancy, for bards of the same race only several options could be present. But having a couple of bards using that "universal voice sound" together in raid or tavern, could simply work well. Similar to the humming of a choir, kind of deal. If you see where I'm going with this. No actual words, but still some personalized sound options. 

On the other hand, we are talking about this suggestion only for this class. And the odds that one would play with multiple bards in one group all the time are quite slim. So the distraction factor might not be so heavy. (still a good point there, Baldur)

• 632 posts
    February 8, 2020 1:12 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

Just to add here..... I also agree that audio bards singing would get monotonous however finding/creating lyrics that you could perhaps augment into songs could produce greater effects/ additional effects. Just a thought. Id like to see the use of voice as well as an instrument as opposed to one or the other. 

This could work very well with the thread of song making mechanics...it's somewhere on this forum.

Your reply ones again shows how much potential song mechanics can have at the start of the bard class and throughout the years.