Forums » The Monk

Monk - 'Burning Questions' (Joppa)

• 1664 posts
    December 19, 2019 3:14 PM PST

Iksar said:

Off-tanking as I understand it here means they will be able to pick up a mob if s**t hits the fan and the tank goes down or for a limited time should a mez break or unexpected add show up until it gets mez'd. They are a bit of a safety net but not intended to be able to stand toe to toe with a mob for longer than maybe 20 seconds, after which their defensive cooldowns will likely be blown and they will fold like any other DPS would. 

And we're calling that a group role?  ...and puller isn't a role? ...

In my mind there is more involved in offtanking than that.  VR listed it as a class role not a just a "oh $***" button for when the tank goes down and there are no other tanks to step in.  

This post was edited by philo at December 19, 2019 3:22 PM PST
    • 488 posts
    December 19, 2019 8:04 PM PST

This is why I want to be able to lock my own threads. RiP

• 1664 posts
    December 19, 2019 9:24 PM PST

Fragile said:

This is why I want to be able to lock my own threads. RiP

Your thread from december 7th would be dead if we didnt further the conversation.  I don't know that whining helps?

• 12 posts
    December 20, 2019 12:29 AM PST
    Fragile is totally right, it’s just better to close the thread now.
    • 1762 posts
    December 23, 2019 2:16 PM PST

philo said:

Keno Monster said:

philo said:

A monk having taunt skills is nice for a last ditch effort if the tank goes down I guess.  That is an extreme circumstance and not a standard group role.  

Then why is their group role literally defined as off-tank? 

Exactly.  Why is it?  If everyone would rather have one of the other 3 tanking classes when an offtank is needed why would VR name monk as the only class listed as "offtank"?  

The answer was already mentioned above.  The monk's role will likely be puller more often than actually off tanking.

The healing abilities are standard monk flavor.  I think we all expect them to be able to pop a discipline and tank for a few seconds.  To say that their 2 primary roles in groups will be dps and offtanking seems very unlikely to actually play out that way.  It seems forced.  

Edit:   From all the monk streams, everything plays out similar to other monks in other games.  I haven't seen anything that shows that these monks are going to be able to offtank any better than monks in any other game.  Maybe I will be surprised and monks will be first choice as offtanks against difficult mobs?  I doubt it.

You're just making things up to fit your opinion. The EQ monk was a fantastic off tank in all but the hardest raid scenarios. Hell, even in classic EQ a monk could tank vox and nagafen if they had enough healing. This narravie that it doesn't make sense, doesn't make sense, considering the long history of the class not just in EQ but in other games for decades as a stout defensive front line fighter. 

• 13 posts
    January 1, 2020 8:18 AM PST

Hello Once again.

Yes im quite sure monk played erm well, will be, a huge asset. \\\\as is we can pull scout ahead split mobs. And Lead a raid to boot oh did i mention dps and off tanking.

I Was used to Being your, ten ton hammer Monk Guy, Tolo. Thinking we kinda did well, Server 1st, world 1st stuff isnt spoon fed, aside ms rug pulling us all, etc. we, None the less 6 good Monks in a group would be awsome, but just one good one works too. so your like a bat man with a huge range of skills, Works well on any raid situation too, pure dps grps can work , as can anything you could imagine realy, Pure Monk Guild, hmm.

So Brads Games, er well, every 3d mmorpg is what brad invisioned, So every mmo you ever played right now has an essence of Brads vision... of everquest, vanguard, swg. He lead, and others followed. Nuff Said...

If you require assistance on your journey, i have form old friend

I can see Brad had the skilled telepath skills too... kinda cool... I felt Him before he arrives and know where being watched too..dont ask me how tha works., how poetic and sweet er met him in Vanguard Testings too. Love to you

You will be sorley Missed by all But Never, Never forgotten

Bless all

Tolo

This post was edited by Tolo at January 1, 2020 9:03 AM PST
    • 86 posts
    August 31, 2020 2:57 AM PDT

Tolo said:

"... None the less 6 good Monks in a group would be awsome, but just one good one works too. so your like a bat man with a huge range of skills, Works well on any raid situation too, pure dps grps can work , as can anything you could imagine realy, Pure Monk Guild, hmm."

Actually there WAS a pure Monk guild in EQ on the Brell Serillus server, the Zan Fi Monks. It was led by two sensei's in the overall guild's history: Jagriel Jubal and later, Aaia Velicat.   We did run into raiding issues with no CC or heals etc, but hunting in a six Monk group was fairly common as I recall.   Eventually, we found the Monks were more likely to be requested to pull for another guild's raids than to raid together, and merged with a "normal" guild.  Fun days, and a great guild!

This post was edited by Nagasakee at August 31, 2020 2:57 AM PDT
    • 298 posts
    September 8, 2020 6:19 AM PDT

Alyonyah said:

I have a terrible interest in having the chakra system elaborated on, but Im not a monk. Can a monk form a better question surrounding the chakra system if that community is interested?

I practice internal martial arts, based on 2000 years old Daoism.  The idea of the gate system just filling up to activate abilities was..underwhelming for me.  

How Qi works inside our bodies is intricate.  Qi will originate from 3 sources.  The air and food you consume and from your Pre-heaven (or pre-birth also called original Qi).  A monk tries to preserve their Pre-heaven Qi.  This Pre-heaven Qi is believed to reside in the kidneys, and is believed you inherited this from your parents.  When you use up all your Preheaven Qi, you die.  The better quality of food you eat, the better quality Qi your body converts to use in your body.  Air and water as well.  The Patheon food and water system should reflect this. 

So in part you could play this perfectly into the races of Pantheon, particularly for the Archai race.  But as it relates to the game system, if Patheon truly wants a more true to life monk class, then their "Gate" system (which are really "Vessels" which act as Qi reservoirs along your meridians)  The word gate just does not flow for me.  You have vessels and the meridians in the body.  You don't want Qi blockages in the body, because static Qi is bad for you.   A Patheon "Gate" sounds like blockage to me and does not resonate well for me.  but ok "Gates" it is. There should be a sub-system to the Gate system where monks can work their innerachemy.  There should be a Qi cultivation Practice or "meditation" where a monk can focus one or two their passive skill bonus (outside what you gain in racial bonuses).  This could be focusing on damage output.  Or a stronger immune system for toxins. Or mental clarity,  or additional bonuses to the element's defense.  A monk can choose to change passive skill bonus, but this is something that should take considerable time, and increases overtime (days).

A cool example would be an Archai Monk whose natural acclimation is Water "frigid", but furthers his acclimation using his "Monk InnerAchemy Passive Skill bonus for "Water".  With the proper gear this type of monk could be a powerhouse in frigid climates.  But it is balanced because of the limited scope,  The great thing is monks can change their focus.

The idea that Monk can work on their own Inner Alchemy system, would greatly increase the attractiveness of the class. 

This post was edited by Caine at September 8, 2020 6:38 AM PDT
    • 1807 posts
    September 8, 2020 11:26 AM PDT

Caine said:

Alyonyah said:

I have a terrible interest in having the chakra system elaborated on, but Im not a monk. Can a monk form a better question surrounding the chakra system if that community is interested?

I practice internal martial arts, based on 2000 years old Daoism.  The idea of the gate system just filling up to activate abilities was..underwhelming for me.  

How Qi works inside our bodies is intricate.  Qi will originate from 3 sources.  The air and food you consume and from your Pre-heaven (or pre-birth also called original Qi).  A monk tries to preserve their Pre-heaven Qi.  This Pre-heaven Qi is believed to reside in the kidneys, and is believed you inherited this from your parents.  When you use up all your Preheaven Qi, you die.  The better quality of food you eat, the better quality Qi your body converts to use in your body.  Air and water as well.  The Patheon food and water system should reflect this. 

So in part you could play this perfectly into the races of Pantheon, particularly for the Archai race.  But as it relates to the game system, if Patheon truly wants a more true to life monk class, then their "Gate" system (which are really "Vessels" which act as Qi reservoirs along your meridians)  The word gate just does not flow for me.  You have vessels and the meridians in the body.  You don't want Qi blockages in the body, because static Qi is bad for you.   A Patheon "Gate" sounds like blockage to me and does not resonate well for me.  but ok "Gates" it is. There should be a sub-system to the Gate system where monks can work their innerachemy.  There should be a Qi cultivation Practice or "meditation" where a monk can focus one or two their passive skill bonus (outside what you gain in racial bonuses).  This could be focusing on damage output.  Or a stronger immune system for toxins. Or mental clarity,  or additional bonuses to the element's defense.  A monk can choose to change passive skill bonus, but this is something that should take considerable time, and increases overtime (days).

A cool example would be an Archai Monk whose natural acclimation is Water "frigid", but furthers his acclimation using his "Monk InnerAchemy Passive Skill bonus for "Water".  With the proper gear this type of monk could be a powerhouse in frigid climates.  But it is balanced because of the limited scope,  The great thing is monks can change their focus.

The idea that Monk can work on their own Inner Alchemy system, would greatly increase the attractiveness of the class. 

I really don't think a particular belief, mysticism or anything should be mainly used as a point of reference. There are more fighting styles developped over the centuries than there is countries and every one of them has at least one, with attached beliefs that turns to be quite supersticious overall.

That doesn't seem more right to me than the current system they implemented, like it or not, for sure. Does that means yours is better because it fits the martial arts you do train ?

• 298 posts
    September 8, 2020 6:03 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

I really don't think a particular belief, mysticism or anything should be mainly used as a point of reference. There are more fighting styles developped over the centuries than there is countries and every one of them has at least one, with attached beliefs that turns to be quite supersticious overall.

That doesn't seem more right to me than the current system they implemented, like it or not, for sure. Does that means yours is better because it fits the martial arts you do train ?

No it does not mean it is better because I train in a particular system.  But when it comes to Qi Energy, Qigong and the science of it, I do know it intimately.  I practice daily for several years.  I am amazed how it works.  I have collected different Qigong forms over the years and I love it and can't imagine not practicing.