Forums » The Wizard

Wizard Burning Questions

• 539 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:57 AM PST

Wizard related burning questions

Without further ado:

1) Will Wizards have "Levitate" spell?

2) Will Wizards have "Invisibility" spell

3) What's the current VR standpoint on "colored mana"? Will it be implemented or have you abbandoned this idea due to ... (what?)?

4) For a DPS class that "wield a force barely imaginable in awe and effect" wizard spells do underwhelming little dmg in streams compared to other classes (I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be less damage per second than classes that do small but consistent dmg). I get that everything will undergo balancing (probably numerous times) - but even at this stage dmg is nowhere near values it should have. Could you explain that?

5) With dispositions system in place - will it be possible and more importantly effective to quad-kite?

6) How will spell (abilities) scaling work? Will it be "EQ style" Spell-line, where at certain levels we will get a better version of a spell ? Will abilities scale only to our level, skill and stats? Or perhaps abilities will gain its own exp and levels when used?

7) Will there be magic caster weapon that will have medium-long range auto-attack?

8) Frozen Fortress - Will this ability (or any other barrier abilities) protect us from getting one-shoted (like from boss devastating attacks) or will dmg above barrier treshold (from the same attack)  automatically go through hp?

This post was edited by Hegenox at December 7, 2019 12:52 PM PST
    • 1210 posts
    December 16, 2019 6:45 PM PST

9] Pointy Hats?  

• 12 posts
    December 17, 2019 6:42 PM PST

10) Loveable oversized dogs?

11) Private investigators office in Chicago?

• 1664 posts
    December 24, 2019 2:12 AM PST

I can answer some of these.

1) levitate is in game, yes

2) wizards will have invis, yes

3) not sure.  I think colored mana has been scrapped.  The living codex adds variety to spells.  Colored mana hasnt been mentioned in a long time.

4) like you said, dmg will still be balanced.  In a recent stream it was pointed out roenick playing a wizard and burning a mob down that started healing itself.  I think good damage is possible.  We just don't see it often because people are trying to save mana.  My thought is the issue is with mana cost/regen and not actually damage.

5) a couple years back a dev made a statement that kiting will be possible but quad kiting would not.  It was an old statement though...and that didn't answer the question about dispositions.  Some dispositions will make it harder to kite than others such as the alarmist that that will call in friends to help.

6) there will be higher tier versions of the same spell.  Players will have the option to cast lower tier, lower mana cost spells if desired.

7) the question about auto attack wands for casters like in wow has been asked multiple times.  I dont think we have gotten a definitive answer.  It seems unlikely that casters will have a ranged auto attack.

8) good question.

This post was edited by philo at December 24, 2019 2:14 AM PST
    • 539 posts
    December 24, 2019 1:19 PM PST

I've read recently that colored mana is something that will be connected (only) to crafting (though the post I read it from was from 2018 as far as I remember).

• 1664 posts
    December 24, 2019 1:39 PM PST

Hegenox said:

I've read recently that colored mana is something that will be connected (only) to crafting (though the post I read it from was from 2018 as far as I remember).

Where did you read that?

At one point there was going to be certain rare or epic level spells that required the use of a colored mana bar that was only usable for those spells.  Cleric colored mana was white, wizard was purple etc.

If it is in game it will be different from the original idea that was presented 4ish years ago.

This post was edited by philo at December 24, 2019 1:41 PM PST
    • 539 posts
    December 24, 2019 1:48 PM PST

This thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9038/is-colored-mana-still-a-thing/view/page/1

and esp this quote:

Joppa said:

Just a bit of clarity here before speculation leads to unmet expectations :)

Currently, we're exploring some design directions for Colored Mana to play a significant role in the Crafting sphere. If we land on something we feel really good about, that's the aspect of Colored Mana you would see the soonest.

Regarding the Adventuring sphere, there have been a few directions we have considered/prototyped in the past that ultimately did not feel successful, being an additional layer of complexity that felt clunky and didn't harmonize with the Pantheon experience as a whole. So we're considering a different approach by using the Crafting system as the flagship incorporation of Colored Mana. If this proves successful, it could open up more clear paths on how we might incorporate Colored Mana into the Adventuring sphere more successfully.

• 1664 posts
    December 24, 2019 2:00 PM PST

Good catch.  Ya I think that quote makes it safe to say that colored mana in its original form is long gone.  

Maybe they end up tieing it with crafting?  That would allow them to have something to point to when people ask about it. 

That's a completely different system than what was presented originally that I was looking forward to.  Oh well, it is what it is.  If it didnt play well then it is for the best.

This post was edited by philo at December 24, 2019 2:03 PM PST