Forums » The Warrior

Plate armor types

• 4 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:12 AM PST
    With the way things are looking they plan on warriors primarily being tanks. Does anyone know if there will be plate armor for those of us wanting to take our warriors a different route? Will we be able to find plate armor out in the world with dps stats on it or will we be restricted to crafters tailoring gear for us?

I plan on taking my warrior down the dual wielding route as this is how I want to experience the game. It would be nice to know that while adventuring and fighting there is a chance a plate item could drop that rolls dps stats
    • 2095 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:45 AM PST

You have looked at the Warrior class description, yes?  That the warrior is more tank that DPS, that most of it's abilities revolve around the use of a shield in the offhand?  You're not going to come close to the DPS of a melee DPS class like Rogue, Monk or Ranger because that isn't your function.

• 4 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:25 AM PST
    Yes, I am fully aware of this, but that was not my question. I am just wondering if bosses or nabs will have the potential to drop plate armor with dps oriented stats.

I'm not making another thread asking if they will be top tier dps as I dont expect this to be the case at all.
    • 954 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:49 AM PST

Sorwend said: Will we be able to find plate armor out in the world with dps stats on it or will we be restricted to crafters tailoring gear for us? I plan on taking my warrior down the dual wielding route as this is how I want to experience the game.

Doing damage with melee abilities is one the two main ways a tank generates hate. So bonuses to Strength, Dexterity (and whatever else might help melee damage) should be pretty common on any of the tank-focused plate you find. Also, my memory of loot-drop armor from other games is that some pieces have small bonused to several attributes, while other pieces have a big bonus to just one. Strength is big for all tanks, so you should see a lot of it. Over time you should be able to get multiple slots filled with pieces that buff exactly the stats you want.

Don't worry too much about the many people on the forums who will tell you that you can't do this or that. It's true that "elite, endgame focused, raiding guilds" would very likely not have much interest in a player who wants to play their character differently than expected. It's also true that many of the followers of this game have little or no interest in that play style. And we are a long way from release, there's no telling how much will change between now and then.

Also, many (though not all) of us firmly believe that your most important 'function' in this game...is to have fun.

• 2808 posts
    November 12, 2019 10:37 AM PST

I don't really think there will be DPS vs Tanking specific stats given how abilities look to work in this game, it isn't a system where tanks want X for tanking and Y for damage so much as both want X,Y,Z because their abilities scale from each stat. I suspect there will be a lot of overlap in terms of what a tank set is compared to a more damage focused set for any tank.

• 4 posts
    November 12, 2019 10:47 AM PST
    What you said Iksar makes sense. I wasnt sure if they were planning any secondary stats on gear like haste and crit chance as those would be what I'm looking for. Maybe they are planning something like this and maybe they have already mentioned it somewhere. I need to do some more looking, I just have not seen anything posted as of yet. Although, I dont have a lot of time in the day right now to really dig around.
    • 18 posts
    November 12, 2019 1:37 PM PST

I do not think that information is avalible at this time. You an see brad off tanking in live steams with a warrior with out a shield. But i dont think the warrior would be a viable DPS class From what we can see now a lot of melee abilites use a shield but with the live streams it appears there can be vaule of using a primary tank and an off tank with diffrent set ups. and the off tank probably does a little more DPS 

• 563 posts
    November 12, 2019 2:13 PM PST

Brad uses a War Wizard in the streams... not a playable class. Just fyi.

• 18 posts
    November 13, 2019 6:36 AM PST

Grymmlocke said:

that is actually incorrect he has played a warrior as they stated when introducing the classes and by the warior symbol that is displaed next to the name Aradune. In the first stream he was sword and board after that two swords its also why you can sometimes see two banners summoned since a warrior can only summon 1 banner at a time 

This post was edited by mebalzz at November 13, 2019 6:57 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    November 13, 2019 7:04 AM PST

My bad then.  Just recalled it being said at some point he was playing a war wizard.  In regards to the banner thing... I would think that a war wizard might have many of the abilities associated with both warriors and wizards, and summoning a banner should be a part of his arsenal. Just my take.

• 4 posts
    November 13, 2019 8:12 AM PST
    To be honest I think the warrior is going to suprise a lot of people in late game dps. Auto attack damage in these types of games always carries a heavy weight in damage done. Warriors have the stats and the start of a good toolkit to really to really amplify this damage. If they do allow for secondary stats to roll on armor I can see this class becoming semi-viable.
    • 954 posts
    November 13, 2019 10:44 AM PST

mebalzz said:

Grymmlocke said:

that is actually incorrect he has played a warrior as they stated when introducing the classes and by the warior symbol that is displaed next to the name Aradune. In the first stream he was sword and board after that two swords its also why you can sometimes see two banners summoned since a warrior can only summon 1 banner at a time 

Grymmlocke is correct.

In some vids - not necessarily all - Aradune was a War Wizard. Besides wearing heavy - often plate - armor, I know at least once I saw him casting some spells. He usually carried his "Firey Avenger" flaming sword, often dual wielding 2 of them. Now, no one every defined what "War Wizard" was, but a clear implication was made in chat once that his char was a unique creation and not a playable class.

This is the 1st vid I know of where he was described that way. At 6:15 you hear Joppa introduce him as "our resident War Wizard".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3MuXT7GrU

• 8 posts
    November 15, 2019 4:46 PM PST

As long as you have a group of friends to play with then I don't think you'll have problems. If you're planning on getting picked up to fill a DPS role in a group of people you don't know, I really think you're going to have a difficult time.

• 42 posts
    November 2, 2020 9:40 PM PST

Jothany said:

mebalzz said:

Grymmlocke said:

Grymmlocke is correct.

In some vids - not necessarily all - Aradune was a War Wizard. Besides wearing heavy - often plate - armor, I know at least once I saw him casting some spells. He usually carried his "Firey Avenger" flaming sword, often dual wielding 2 of them. Now, no one every defined what "War Wizard" was, but a clear implication was made in chat once that his char was a unique creation and not a playable class.

This is the 1st vid I know of where he was described that way. At 6:15 you hear Joppa introduce him as "our resident War Wizard".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3MuXT7GrU

War Wizard should be a class in a later expansion. Maybe have it as a melee class with a focus on self weapon buffs, DPS and CC. Cause that would be cool as hell.

• 46 posts
    December 5, 2020 10:14 PM PST

I have played a raid MT warrior in end  game in both EQ1 and 2. There were times when hot swapping to dual wield was very adventageous for agro, and using the shield more like a defensive buff when i started to get hammered too much. Albeit, you would probably need to achieve acertain level of gear to utilize that. But for sure do not discount dual wield.

This post was edited by Hemlock at December 5, 2020 10:19 PM PST
    • 986 posts
    January 4, 2021 8:59 AM PST

The "war wizard" comment was in jest during a time when items restrictions were not yet implemented.

I'm curious if it will be viable for a warrior to wear all different armor types... i.e. carry around a set of heavy chain if it has higher spell resistance, or maybe piece together different armor types if there are hard or soft caps on certain attributes (assuming heavy plate will have high AC and possibly give some sort of defensive perk like + blocking, while leather would give + mobility/evasion - but if there were caps of say 20 on those things, there would be no sense in having 25 block skill but only 13 evasion when you could have 20 block and 18 evasion by swaping out pieces of armor types.  Or even for appearance when chilling in town. I'm a min/maxer when it comes to things like that - I play MMOs to RP, and min/max "my" character (without judging or pushing my agenda on others, but still sharing my opinions - similar to the argument of Ogre Warrior being the "best" in EQ.  That topic can be argued for days, but I understand that "opinion").  I have some min/max cards I'm keeping up my sleeve that I'm really curious to check out too!  ;)

• 1781 posts
    January 11, 2021 2:03 PM PST

Darch said:

The "war wizard" comment was in jest during a time when items restrictions were not yet implemented.

I'm not sure what comment about War Wizards you are saying was in jest? War Wizards were a real thing that Brad talked about being in game multiple times early on.

It's just old outdated info that, we have to assume, got scrapped at this point.

Here are 2 old quotes from Brad about what Warwizards were going to be:

Aradune said: The player will encounter WarWizards, usually on an epic-level quest.  They will assist the WarWizard, and the WarWizard may assist them in certain battles.

Aradune said:  In some epic-level quests, the player's character will temporarily (so as not to cause a balance problem) be able to assume the abilities of a WarWizard and access spells and abilities usually not accessible by that character's class.

• 986 posts
    January 12, 2021 7:44 AM PST

philo said:

Darch said:

I'm not sure what comment about War Wizards you are saying was in jest? War Wizards were a real thing that Brad talked about being in game multiple times early on.

It's just old outdated info that, we have to assume, got scrapped at this point.

Aradune said: The player will encounter WarWizards, usually on an epic-level quest.  They will assist the WarWizard, and the WarWizard may assist them in certain battles.

Aradune said:  In some epic-level quests, the player's character will temporarily (so as not to cause a balance problem) be able to assume the abilities of a WarWizard and access spells and abilities usually not accessible by that character's class.

Someone was also playing a wizard that was equiped with a sword and shield in one of the first gameplay streams - and we asked about it in chat to which someone responded: "that is just our resident war wizard" (paraphrase) because weapon/armor restrictions were not in the game yet.

• 1781 posts
    January 12, 2021 8:10 AM PST

Darch said:

philo said:

Darch said:

Someone was also playing a wizard that was equiped with a sword and shield in one of the first gameplay streams - and we asked about it in chat to which someone responded: "that is just our resident war wizard" (paraphrase) because weapon/armor restrictions were not in the game yet.

Brad played as a "war wizard" on streams often early on.  Maybe some of his skills were those of the warwizards that were planned in game?  Unsure.  

I think most of us took it as: brad can do whatever he wants.  VR did make it clear that what he was playing was not a standard class.  Brad liked telling about his history with war wizard and how that got him recruited to make EQ. 

But the point was, there were going to actually be war wizards in game at one point.  It wasnt just brad messing around.

• 1781 posts
    January 12, 2021 12:57 PM PST

Thinking about it, this would be a really cool in game tribute to Brad if this made it in and the WW that helped you was Aradune (in his standard green plate with flaming swords of course).

• 954 posts
    January 13, 2021 12:22 AM PST

philo said:

Thinking about it, this would be a really cool in game tribute to Brad if this made it in and the WW that helped you was Aradune (in his standard green plate with flaming swords of course).

I agree. This needs to happen.