Forums » The Summoner

Mana Shield

• 663 posts
    April 22, 2019 1:13 AM PDT
    Mana Shield
    Passive. Through your Materialization prowess, you are able to summon a brief barrier of consolidated Mana every X seconds that will keep a Magic-based attack from landing on you if timed correctly.

This says that it is a passive ability, but "keep magic-based attack from landing on you IF TIMED CORRECTLY "

How does that work?
    • 273 posts
    April 22, 2019 1:22 AM PDT

I think it's just saying that if the magic attack happens to land when your mana shield is "on," then it will have no effect. Say the mana shield cycle is to be "on" for one second and then off for six. If a mob happens to throw a fireball at you during that one second....no effect! If it throws a fireball at any other time...you're toast. In other words, I think it's just talking about how the timing happens to sync up randomly rather than something intentionally timed by the player.

• 663 posts
    April 22, 2019 3:17 AM PDT
    It could be, hope the up time is somewhat decent until it absorbs a spell, then a decent Cooldown until the uptime starts again.
    • 450 posts
    April 22, 2019 8:30 AM PDT

I agree that the wording could be better and I also agree with Gyldervane on the meaning.

Passive. Through your Materialization prowess, you generate a brief barrier of consolidated Mana every X seconds that will keep a Magic-based attack from landing on you if timed correctly.

• 29 posts
    August 20, 2019 7:06 PM PDT

(I know, replying to this thread really late, I'm just starting to be more active here)

I'm rather certain we saw somewhere, there was a clarification by Kilsin or, more likely, Joppa, that this was, in fact, an activated ability.  What's Passive about it is that all Summoners get the ability passively, though it is actually an activated ability.  I really wish I could remember where I read that, or where the clarification was, but I swear it was on the forums somewhere.  So unless something changed significantly after that clarification, that should be what they're planning for the ability.  Which honestly makes a lot more sense than just a random mana shield that pulses periodically and if you just happen to be lucky, you're lucky.